SD card downloads help for a semi android world dummie

Bobbi5

Commendable
Nov 26, 2016
Hi all!
Read the article on how you can set the external SD card as the default download location. None of that is on my phone in the "my files" folder. There are no options available or settings.I've also read as much as I can about SD card stuff in general and I'm really peeved that I bought an expensive one and have since found out that most of what is put on it either isn't really going there, or won't stay there.
My phone is slllowww and if it's actually possible, I'd love some help on this whole situation.
Thanks a million!

Solution
Well, depending on what phone you have and what version of Android it is running is what will determine if you can or cannot download and run apps from the SD card. If you are running anything prior to "Marshmallow" then you won't be able to. However, if you can upgrade to it, you 'may' be able to make it work. I say 'may' because some manufacturers have restricted this option on some of their devices.

How to turn external SD card into internal storage on "Marshmallow".

NOTE: Please be sure you start with a blank SD card. It needs to be blank because when the card is converted to "Internal" storage, it will be formatted (wiped) and encoded (making the cards data only readable by that device).

1. Go to device “Settings”, then select...
Well, depending on what phone you have and what version of Android it is running is what will determine if you can or cannot download and run apps from the SD card. If you are running anything prior to "Marshmallow" then you won't be able to. However, if you can upgrade to it, you 'may' be able to make it work. I say 'may' because some manufacturers have restricted this option on some of their devices.

How to turn external SD card into internal storage on "Marshmallow".

NOTE: Please be sure you start with a blank SD card. It needs to be blank because when the card is converted to "Internal" storage, it will be formatted (wiped) and encoded (making the cards data only readable by that device).

1. Go to device “Settings”, then select “Storage”.
2. Select your "SD Card", then tap the “three-dot menu“ (top-right), now select “Settings” from in there.
3. Now select “Format as internal”, and then “Erase & Format”.
4. Your SD Card will now be formatted as internal storage.
5. Reboot your phone.

NOTE: If you don't reboot the phone, many things may not work correctly, so make sure you do.

Solution