SD Card Is Blank or Has Unsupported File system LG G Sylo (LGMS631)

CG93

Commendable
May 7, 2016
Hey guys, how's it going?

I recently noticed something with my 4 day old phone. When I restart the phone it gives me the message "SD Card Is Blank or Has Unsupported File system." It then gives me the option to format it, I press format and it gives me the message "SD card currently being checked" then it does nothing. I left it alone for about and hour and tried again, it gave me the same message. So I reformatted it on the computer using the default FAT32 file system. It gives me the same message. I'm thinking it's a flaw in the phone and it's something I'm just going to have to deal with, but I wanted to get some opinions and ideas of what I could do?

---

The sd card is a 16 GB Sandisk Ultra Type 10, about 1 month old.

You say you could access the card on the computer, to format it, but the Phone won't recognize it. Are you able to access the card from the computer to say put a file on it? This may help with your error. Just a file that isn't important, but is readable on a phone.

Then turn the phone off, input the SD card and restart the phone. If it still gives you issues, but the card was good on the computer, you need to take the phone and return it. A new phone should not give you such a problem.

If, however, the card doesn't let you access it from the computer either, just get a new card.

CG93

Commendable
May 7, 2016

Yes, the computer reads it without a problem, I even ran chkdsk and it found 0 problems. I reformatted it twice and transferred my backed up files to it twice without a problem too. I am going to return it though, because I unmounted the sd card and removed it from the phone, then a few seconds later it said that the sim card was removed and it rebooted on its own. Thank you for the help.

By the way, should any folders be set as read-only in the sd card? They are all set to read-only for some reason.

CG93

Commendable
May 7, 2016

Even the folders added by the phone were read-only. It does let me delete and move stuff around through the phones file manager though. Weird... anyway, hopefully it's a hassle free transaction, the phone is only 4 days old so i'm hoping to get it exchanged instead of having to send it in for "repairs" or whatever they do. Thanks for the help! I'll post up tomorrow whether the new phone does the same thing or not.

Great! They should exchange it, I mean it isn't like it is old or damaged. Most have warranties that cover returns for 15-30 days. Do let us know what happens.

OH And you might want to try and check the phone, the new one, for a similar problem "before" you leave with it. That way they can address it better.

Good Luck.

CG93

Commendable
May 7, 2016

So I took it to the store and they didn't exchange it. The problem only happens with my SD card so they said it's the SD card and not the phone. I factory reset my phone and the problem still happens. The SIM card problem was impossible to reproduce since it was random.

I put my micro sd card in 3 different phones, 2 androids and 1 windows phone. I powered off and restarted them just like I did to my current phone and they all mounted the sd card just fine without needing to take it out and put it back in. I've put the card into my pc multiple times and it reads it just fine every single time. What else I could I try? Does the SD card absolutely need to be FAT32?

They are not handling this correctly at the store then. If the card will work fine in all other devices, then it is the phone that has the problem. I so hate when people try to pawn off responsibility for something on someone/something else. Were it me, I would speak to a manager. However, you could try using a different card to test and see if you get the same problem. I don't believe the card has to absolutely be FAT32, however this shouldn't be what is giving you the problem.

I do wonder though, and I should have asked you before, what class is the card? As in Speed Class. I as because Speed Class designates minimum writing performance to record video. The Speed Classes defined by the SD Association are Class 2, 4, 6 and 10. The card you are trying to use should be at least a 4.

CG93

Commendable
May 7, 2016

I was told to talk to corporate, but I know it's just going to be a waste of time. I am going to give them a call tomorrow but I just want to start figuring this out as soon as possible so I don't end up with a dead phone. The sd card is a SanDisk Ultra Plus 16GB microSDHC Class 10 UHS-1.

CG93

Commendable
May 7, 2016

Could it be that the card is too high of a class? I just inserted a really old 2gb SanDisk card, which practically has all the same files, from my other phone and i restarted it and it read it just fine. I just don't understand how it only happens to this phone with this card.

That would be the only thing I could think of, that the card is 'to much' for the phone. Seems extremely odd, but stranger things have happened. Perhaps the phone, although newer, isn't able to handle it. Makes no sense, but perhaps the phone manufacturer used less advance parts for that particular aspect of the device. So it cannot accurately read the SD card. Very strange. Then it may not be that the device is malfunctioning, but that the device is not as modern as they make it out to be? So strange.

CG93

Commendable
May 7, 2016

I downloaded a benchmark app and ran a test a couple of times, the lowest read was at 69 MB/s and the lowest write was 10.99 MB/s, the highest was 106 MB/s - 11.14 MB/s. I still can't think of any reason as to why it only happens when the phone is restarted. I unmounted and mounted the card at least 20 times and it did it just fine. I'll be calling them tomorrow to see if they can figure anything out or if they'll exchange the phone. I read up on their exchange policy and it doesn't say anything about them needing to reproduce the problem.

CG93

Commendable
May 7, 2016

Yeah hopefully they don't give me a runaround, I managed to find a corporate office close to me so i'll be going instead of calling. I will post what happens tomorrow after I go. Thanks for all the help!