Solved! SD Card not detected in Samsung J2 Core

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 11, 2018
Today, all of a sudden in the morning, my phone (Samsung J2 Core) showed up a notification saying - "SD Card Removed - Social network content won't be saved to the SD card anymore. Any content you've saved to the SD card won't be available".

My SD Card is unmounted from my phone. It is missing from my file explorer (ES File Explorer).

I tried restarting the phone. I also removes the SD card, cleaned it with an eraser and put it back, but no luck. It is not being detected.

Tried using it with a card reader on both Windows as well as linux systems. Both don't detect it at all. Also checked with Windows Partition Manager and GParted. The volume was not to be seen in both the applications.

I'm starting to suspect that my SD Card is dead somehow.

If anybody faced a similar problem, please help a brotha out. Suggestions on how to recover data from a dead SD Card (which is not being read on any platform) are also appreciated, as I had some pretty important stuff on it :(

Thanks in advance !

Screenshot-20181111-123654.jpg

Solution
If another device won't read it either, it is doubtful there is anything you can do to resolve it. It could have been almost anything on the card or the device that caused the issue. It could also have been a flaw in the card, or any number of things. Alas, they are basically made to be disposable, but they do not advertise that.
It is possible it is the card, it is also possible it is the port. And, on top of that, it is completely possible that you have a virus, malware, or bad app on the device that has caused the problem.

Try the card in another device, and try a different card in your phone. This is the only way you are going to know if it is the card or the port. If both turn out OK, then I would start looking at the phone having other issues. In that case you might want to start the phone up in "Safe Mode" and see if it notices the card while in there. If it does, you need to find and remove whatever is on the phone that is the cause. That or "Hard Reset" the phone.

To get into "Safe Mode" please do the following.

1. First turn off the phone.

2. Next press and hold "Power" until you see the manufacturers logo on the screen, then release the power button.

3. "Quickly" press "Volume Down" and hold it for few seconds until you see the message "Safe mode: ON" or something similar.

4. If you wanted disable it, simply repeat the steps above, and you should see "Safe Mode: OFF" rather than on.

Nov 11, 2018

Hi webworkings ! Thanks for the prompt reply.

As per your suggestions, I tried the card in another phone. Still not detecting.
Also, I tried another (good) card in my phone, and it works. So I'm sure now that it's not the port that is causing the problem. Here's when I inserted my good card :

Screenshot-20181112-083044.jpg

And just in case, I also tried booting into safe mode and checking if my card is being detected or not. But it's not. There's nothing other than internal memory in the "Storage" settings page.

So I'm pretty sure now that it is the card.

But let me remind you, all this happened overnight. I woke up in the morning and saw my phone had 3 notifications (in the image below) and my SD card was unmounted by itself.

Screenshot-20181112-083712.jpg

Is there a way to fix this card? I read somewhere that using a heat gun might make the card usable again, but I haven't tried anything yet, fearing the card may become totally dead and un-fixable.

If another device won't read it either, it is doubtful there is anything you can do to resolve it. It could have been almost anything on the card or the device that caused the issue. It could also have been a flaw in the card, or any number of things. Alas, they are basically made to be disposable, but they do not advertise that.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.