Status
Not open for further replies.

Coputernewbie

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
So I recently got the PUP.BundleInstaller and PUP.ToolBarDownloader "Viruses" and it seems to have changed my search engine. I have google as my home page for my computer and when I search something using the search bar underneath that days picture, everything is fine and it uses google to search something. But when I type something into the web address bar or URL bar as its also called, it suddenly changes to bing! How do I fix that?

Please note: That I do not use and have not referred to the smaller searchbar to the right of the URL address bar.

Thank you for any help.

Solution
Try this for Firefox:
Type "about:config" in the url box and hit enter
click on 'i will be carefull i promise'
type "keyword.url" in the filter and hit enter
right click on it and select modify, paste 'http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&biw=957&bih=456&q=' in the keyword.url popup box, hit enter

Coputernewbie

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
I don't follow. when I clicked on the down arrow all that came up was my web history. are you referring to the down arrow between the favorite star in the refresh button? I also went to the smaller google search bar and made sure it was google. does that affect the longer URL box search engine? again I searched something and it was still bing. again I used the longer you URL box at the top of the page to search.

Coputernewbie

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
Fire Fox. Like I said Id like to use Google engine as I always have. I tent to have a lot of tabs open and switch web pages while doing research by using the URL main box for convenience sake but Bing just feels awkward. How do I change the main engine Im using? Again, like I said, I go to use the main address bar and its bing now when it used to be google no matter what.

Try this for Firefox:
Type "about:config" in the url box and hit enter
click on 'i will be carefull i promise'
type "keyword.url" in the filter and hit enter
right click on it and select modify, paste 'http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&biw=957&bih=456&q=' in the keyword.url popup box, hit enter

Solution

Coputernewbie

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
Thank you so much for the help!!
Sorry for the long wait. I didnt get a yahoo notification.
I didnt want to try this because every post I read said it only made it worse but oh well. Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.