Second Life ''Enterprise'' Now Testing at IBM, Navy

Status
Not open for further replies.

climber

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
If corporations are interested in reducing their carbon footprint and the total cost of meetings, a.k.a. travel costs, hotels, etc. then this technology will be the way forward. However, expect hotel chains and airlines to publically be dismissive of this new tech or openly lobby against it to politicians.

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
Lets just say that i had an email in the past from Mr Linden when I told them i would sue them for incapability of proffetional action ingame when it came to banning etc. I can only say that the dude is clueless for his own product judging by his replying email. his employees didnt dare to reply to me to avoid responsibility of my email.

The original Second Life has been out for about what..? 5 years now? Lets just say they desearve the most useless programers award since the simulator is crappy as hell after 5 years of patching. And their services suck. Now.. If they also use all the clueless retards to work on this sideproject to make shitloads of $$ I can only imagine the dissaster in both of them.

If it wasnt for usermade stuff and scripts in Second life it would have been dead since Linden Labs stuff suck big time. Thank you :)

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
This makes little sense to me, so basically all they're doing is taking meeting software already in existence and adding 3d avatars to it? I fail to see the productivity gain or any added value to what already exists.

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
I've always found 2nd Life absolutely awful. I have no idea why it would be popular at all.

I mean, on an AMD 5200+ w/ 4 GB of RAM and a 9500 GT and a 3.0 mbps connection, it still lagged and streamed incredibly slowly.

It's become 'better', but it's still a terrible application without the technical difficulties.

My opinion.

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
[citation][nom]Kelavarus[/nom]I've always found 2nd Life absolutely awful. I have no idea why it would be popular at all.[/citation]
Because you can sell avatars and objects for real money. And then there's the furries...

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
[citation][nom]Kelavarus[/nom]I've always found 2nd Life absolutely awful. I have no idea why it would be popular at all. I mean, on an AMD 5200+ w/ 4 GB of RAM and a 9500 GT and a 3.0 mbps connection, it still lagged and streamed incredibly slowly. It's become 'better', but it's still a terrible application without the technical difficulties. My opinion.[/citation]
Lagg is there because it's all streaming. It's like browsing. Your computer is really good, but there is just so much FF or IE can do to improve the speed of the webpages. It's not a fixed mix of objects like in WoW, it's just some very basic shapes mixed together and custom textured, that need to be downloaded to the destination.

athreex

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
[citation][nom]WheelsOfConfusion[/nom]Because you can sell avatars and objects for real money. And then there's the furries...[/citation]

I agree with this guy. Although I don't like Second Life. Guys SL is not just a game. Gaming on Second Life is just a portion of this entire Sim community. People run business out of it. There are professor teaching courses inside SL. There musicians that get some REAL money in the USD/Linden exchange (they play instruments,sing, opera,jazz). It's like a virtual trade center.

I know all of this because I have friends that plays SL. Why I don't like it? Well, come on, all of this can be done but, it is not the same thing going to hear some music in SL than going to some Live concert, or go to a real class, or a real work meeting. There's so much that it's being missed. Actually, my point is a contrast between Second Life (activities being resembled as real through a computer) and REAL tangible Life.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
Some day humans we will be able to change look/body, never grow old or out of shape, fly, teleport and create something out of nothing, AND have sensory smell/taste/touch in just one life, and even more. For the moment though I'm excited at the technological age we live in and the inevitable surpass of importance of second life to real life that is to come sooner than expected, and in areas other than simple entertainment as the article says. And in the entertainment, the brain is after all our most powerful sensory organ, not our eyes or skin.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Athreex[/nom]I agree with this guy. Although I don't like Second Life. Guys SL is not just a game. Gaming on Second Life is just a portion of this entire Sim community. People run business out of it. There are professor teaching courses inside SL. There musicians that get some REAL money in the USD/Linden exchange (they play instruments,sing, opera,jazz). It's like a virtual trade center.I know all of this because I have friends that plays SL. Why I don't like it? Well, come on, all of this can be done but, it is not the same thing going to hear some music in SL than going to some Live concert, or go to a real class, or a real work meeting. There's so much that it's being missed. Actually, my point is a contrast between Second Life (activities being resembled as real through a computer) and REAL tangible Life.[/citation]
At what point is virtuality superior to reality?
It's coming, and the physical world has far too many restrictions...

Imagine learning the contents of years in school in a month, imagine never having to leave your own home, imagine never working (I know everything in my job could be 100% automatized. Robot to do my job, computer and satellite grids to drive transport trucks, software to automatically take care of logistics, another robot to fix anything that breaks etc).
When we reach a level of 100% work atomization, what will we do?

Oh, and this seems like crap to me...

Status
Not open for further replies.