Security Configuration for a Noob

Revelations

Commendable
Jul 30, 2016
I've only ever had a firewall installed until a few days ago when I got my first known virus (which forced to me to lose everything). So, now I'm thinking I should get one. I've spent half a day trying to figure all this security stuff out and here's what I got so far. Any suggestions on the Antivirus program and does everything else seem good?

*Firewall*
Windows Firewall (switching to Comodo Firewall for HIPS...maybe)

*Anti-Virus*
1) Bit Defender Antivirus Plus [Very worried about their billing]
web blocking
2) Kaspersky Anti-Virus

Others:
Avast
AVG
Avira

*Anti-Malware*
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free version

Opinions will vary over this but my recommendation is that you save your money because you already paid for Windows Defender, the Windows Firewall (did you really turn it off) and if you aren't on Windows 10, Microsoft Security Essentials.

It's Microsoft's software that gets infested first and I believe they'll apply a fix to it before they bother to tell Norton, McAfee, the Czecks and the Russians so why pay them when you've already bought the right utilities.

If you suspect you have a problem, use MalwareBytes free version but get a fresh one on every occasion because things move quickly in the malware world.

bicycle_repair_man

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
I used Norton up until a few years ago and was impressed with it, despite it being a bit of a resource hog. I currently use Avast as I have other security measures in place to minimise the risk of infection. For example, my account is the only one that's an administrator, so if my wife downloads a dodgy program, it can't install. I also back-up my files and take a system image regularly, so if my PC does go up the creek, I can restore it easily and not lose any data.

Internet security is mostly about common sense and readiness.

Revelations

Commendable
Jul 30, 2016
Well, I've gone and done more research and here it where I'm at.

Windows Firewall

Zemana Anti-Malware (love this program)

I tried installing Bitdefender free antivirus and wow did my windows 7 system freeze up. I couldn't even restart my pc. It would just hang on the desktop background image until I manually restarted the pc. Also, for some odd reason It disabled my ability to access task manager. Coupled with the horrid things I've heard about their customer service and billing practices, I'm not interested in them anymore.

I'm still looking at

1) ESET Nod32
2) Avira
3) Kaspersky
4) Emisoft
5) F-secure