walterdaysi

Honorable
Apr 3, 2012
Hello,
I just bought a new HP dv6 notebook, It came with windows 7. I was offered Norton free for 60 days,. If windows Defender is a part of windows7, is it necessary to install Norton?--- And, Is windows Defender one of the more dependable anti virus programs available as it stands alone on my computer?

the great randini

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
i would not consider windows defender an anti virus, but microsoft security essentials is and free offered by microsoft but not bundeled with windows 7 which incorperates windows defender. download here http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=231277

windows defender or security essentials is the best free option in my Opinion.

although some paid solutions like kaspersky or sophos have some cool features for powerusers, but useless to the average pc user.

since norton is such a hog of resources and will pop up u to death when the trial expires i would skip it and down load the microsoft av

an av is only as good as its definitions so keep it up to date

Dickstar

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008

You clearly don't know what you're talking about. And learn to spell.

Norton is excellent. They sucked back in the day but they've learned their lesson. Their current software is excellent. Lightweight, feature-packed and one of the best out there in terms of virus detection. It beats the *** about any free virus scanner.

That said, Microsoft Security Essentials is a very good free solution. It's anti-virus and anti-spyware in one and it replaces Windows Defender.

Hi :)

Agreed...

My shops sell and use Norton (only)

And of the free ones...MSE is ok...but nowhere near as good as Norton....

All the best Brett :)

xunicronx

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2007
I would choose Norton. I am using Microsoft Security Essentials only because it's free. If you look around, after 60 days, you should be able to find deals somewhere for Norton. Sometimes I find Norton 360 for almost half off.

Dickstar

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008

These kind of sites shouldn't be taken seriously. All they care about is getting referrals.

Dickstar

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
I would use Norton if I had money to spare. Being in college is expensive as ***.

Although I gotta say, Microsoft Security Essentials is very good as well. It seems to catch everything and it's super lightweight and pretty much invisible. Updates come through Windows Update. I really like it. It's better than AVG and the like, that's for sure.

chudddds

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012
i use avira antivir free edition, along with malwarebytes free edition, super antispyware, free edition, all free lifetime updates

i dont use windows update

i havnt had a virus or any type of bug in many years

i cant even remember the last time

arvalin_dakaria

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011

And little do you know you're part of Zeus :kaola:

Dickstar

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008

i cant spell

im doing dumb ***

i dont know whut im talking about

im posting alot of things but its all so vapid thta noone carez

chudddds

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012

yeah, that one always sets people off, rolmfao

evan1715

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
i've been using norton for years, used to be terrible hog of resources now it is merely perfect.
here its really cheap, $31 for norton 360.
i used it and got a year up to 3 pc's.
http://thecouponscoop.com/store/norton
use the link then choose the "50% Off Norton v 5.0 + Extra 20% Off Code"
type in the code in at check out.
download and install.
then right click norton in the taskbar and choose "check for new version" to update to 6.0
bam 360 6.0 for $30 bucks