Solved! Selective Browser Connectivity Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 1, 2017
I'm unable to use my internet browsers to access websites e.g. Steam, Twitter, Facebook. Sometimes, I'm only able to access Google and Youtube but can't access Reddit, Twitter or Facebook. Sometimes, I'm unable to access any websites via Chrome or Firefox at all while chatting on another program.

Even though Windows says my internet connection is perfectly fine, I still get internet problems. The error is usually Chrome/Firefox "timed out in loading".

In Command Prompt, I tried pinging Google.com, Twitter.com and they can still work with 20ms ping response.

What's weird is that sometimes I can also continue talking to friends on Steam but Steam's store/community browser doesn't work.

My phone and other devices also work, just my laptop has these problems.

I'm using Windows 8.1. My other devices don't experience this internet problem so I've isolated this problem to my computer only.

How do I solve my internet problem? What command can I run in CMD?
I've run Windows Defender Virus Scan and Malwarebytes which turned up nothing.

Solution
It could be your internet provider. You would be surprised how often that is the problem.

If could also be something else running on your computer that is using up your connection, without you knowing it. I would suggest some good deep malware, virus, etc., scans. Using a few different programs so nothing gets missed. And while Windows defender is OK and all, it isn't a good 'serious' Antivirus program.

Also, try starting your computer (shut down completely and then start up) in "Safe Mode with Networking" and see if sites work then. If you don't get the problem then, you definitely have something on the device that is causing your lack of access.

How to enter "Safe Mode" when booting the computer.

In Windows 8 and 10...

As your...
It could be your internet provider. You would be surprised how often that is the problem.

If could also be something else running on your computer that is using up your connection, without you knowing it. I would suggest some good deep malware, virus, etc., scans. Using a few different programs so nothing gets missed. And while Windows defender is OK and all, it isn't a good 'serious' Antivirus program.

Also, try starting your computer (shut down completely and then start up) in "Safe Mode with Networking" and see if sites work then. If you don't get the problem then, you definitely have something on the device that is causing your lack of access.

How to enter "Safe Mode" when booting the computer.

In Windows 8 and 10...

As your computer restarts, press F8 (possibly a few times) to enter "Safe Mode"

a. Press the "F4" key to Enable "Safe Mode".
(The computer will then start in "Safe Mode" with a minimal set of drivers and services.)

b. Press the "F5" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Networking.
( Once "Safe Mode" with Networking starts, Windows is in Safe Mode, with additional network and services for accessing the Internet and other computers on your network.)

c. Press the "F6" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Command Prompt.
(In "Safe Mode" with "Command Prompt" starts Windows in Safe Mode, with a Command Prompt window instead of the Windows interface. This option is mostly only used by IT professionals.)

Now sign in to the computer with your account name and password. (If you have one set.) When you are finished troubleshooting, you can exit "Safe Mode" restarting your computer.

In Windows 7/Vista/XP...

1. Immediately after turning on the computer, or restarting it (usually after you hear your computer beep), tap the F8 key, repeatedly, in 1 second intervals.

2. The computer will then display hardware information and run a memory test.

3. Next the "Advanced Boot Options" menu will appear.

4. In the "Advanced Boot Options" menu use the arrow keys to select "Safe Mode" or "Safe Mode with Networking" and press ENTER.

Solution
Jan 1, 2017
I ruled out a problem with the internet provider because my older laptop can still access the internet perfectly with no problems.

When I do run an intensive application on my laptop, I tend to get more disconnection problems but Steam Chat still works perfectly.

Restarting my computer works but I don't always want to restart it every time i experience problems.

If it is malware,can you suggest a serious anti-virus program? I already have MalwareBytes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS