Several laptop keyboard keys working intermittently

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClaytonEllington

Estimable
Nov 30, 2015
Hello!
I have an MSI Ge62 Apache Pro laptop. Unfortunately, two weeks ago, some of the keys on the keyboard failed. Specifically, the C, F, R, 8, 9, 0, BACKSPACE, and DELETE keys do not work.

What is especially strange is that, occasionally, these keys will start working for a few hours before becoming unresponsive again. And some of the time when the keys work, tapping the key once will cause 2-3 characters to be entered or backspaced. I have checked my drivers, and they are working. Also, my keyboard is not dirty; it is new, I usually use a keyboard cover, and I have never spilled anything on it. What would you recommend I do?

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps that I suggested to others who had the same concern.
- Start by checking if your keyboard layout is set to United States.
- If this will not work uninstall/reinstall the keyboard driver.
- Open Device Manager, right click on the keyboard driver and select Uninstall.
- Reboot your laptop once uninstalled and it should reinstall the driver automatically upon reboot.
- Do test it again after the reboot and see if the problem has been resolved.
- If it doesn't work connect and external USB keyboard then test it and see if it will work normally or not.
- If it does work that could mean that the built in keyboard was damaged.
- Your last option if it works normally using an external keyboard is to do a factory reset.
- If factory reset will also not work that means the built in keyboard is damaged.

ClaytonEllington

Estimable
Nov 30, 2015
Thanks for the replies! I reinstalled the keyboard drivers like you said, Laptop_Nerd, but it didn't help.

Yes, my USB keyboard is working. I'm not feeling quite up to a factory reset today; that's a bit of a hassle, so I might do that next weekend.

Thanks for the suggestion, dudeman509, I was wondering myself if a loose cable connection might be what's wrong. It could explain why certain groups of keys are not working (C, F, R are in a line; 8 9 0 are as well), although I am not familiar enough with the keyboard-motherboard ribbon to know if that would do it. I think I might try reattaching that next, before a factory reset.

Thanks again for the suggestions! Laptop_Nerd, do you also think it could be a loose cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.