Should I consider getting a new laptop next year?

RedLine05

Honorable
Dec 25, 2016
I have a 2014 Samsung ATIV Book 8, and it has a Core i7 [strike]4720hq[/strike] 4710hq processor, GT 750m, 256GB SSD, 8GB DDR3L ram, and a 1080p screen. The laptop has great specs, but the problem is the damage caused to the laptop. My laptop currently has many scratches, and it is missing a few keys. Also, the metal screen bezel has folded marks on it, and the bottom shell of the laptop got cracked because I accidently cracked it while trying to take apart the laptop.
Should I replace my laptop next year?

EDIT: Its 4710hq, not 4720hq.

RealBeast

Distinguished
I would check to see if you can get parts for repair if it otherwise meets your needs.

Just upgraded my CPU from i5 to i7 and switched to a backlit KB on my Dell laptop. Got the parts very cheap on EBay with free shipping from Hong Kong -- they look identical to the original parts too.

Just a thought to save some $$.

RedLine05

Honorable
Dec 25, 2016

I cannot upgrade this laptop! The cpu is soldered!

He never said you should UPGRADE your laptop. He said, "I would check to see if you can get parts for REPAIR if it otherwise meets your needs". His point in telling you his upgrade story was that he found inexpensive parts for his laptop, and maybe you can do the same to fix (as opposed to upgrade) yours. :D

RedLine05

Honorable
Dec 25, 2016

My mom doesn't allow desktops in her house, because she thinks desktops take up a lot of space in my room, and my mom's house is small(I live with my mom).

RedLine05

Honorable
Dec 25, 2016

I cannot buy the parts myself. According to Samsung South Korea's policies, their parts cannot be distributed to other places. So I cannot get korean keys and other parts that I need to fix my laptop. Oh dear I do hate Samsung's policies!

Foul language removed by Moderator. Please don't repeat it.

G

Tell your mom that as a fellow korean, we both know saving money is crucial, and stationary desktops are cheaper, and better than laptops (depends, i mean if you stick 4 titan x pascals in there, its not "cheap" is it.). If size is the ONLY matter, well what is wrong with putting it under your desk?

RedLine05

Honorable
Dec 25, 2016

She is worried that the monitor, keyboard, mouse and speakers would take up my desk space.

G

Ever heard of desks that have slide out compartments for keyboards and mouse? Plus laptops are hard to sell but with a pc, you can sell those used parts easily.
When there is a will and a srewdriver and a wd-40 and ductape, there is a way.
Gimmie your home layout, if its simmilar to mine, ill give you my grand management solution, plus, its not like you cant move the keyboard and mouse.
And keyboards are easier to take care of.

RedLine05

Honorable
Dec 25, 2016

I don't want to buy a new furniture. Also, my mom HATES placing new furnitures because it takes up time to place it.

G

Or if you are a diy kind of guy, make one yourself. If you think plan b is better scince it requires less work, boom there you have it.