Skype Acquires Mobile Group Messaging Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesSneed

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Should this not read Microsoft bought MobileMe since MS bought Skype a while ago? I know it says in the article but how oddly misleading since Skype doesn't exist anymore, not as a company just as a division of Microsoft.

RabidFace

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
@JamesSneed

My thoughts exactly. As I was reading this, I was replacing Skype with Microsoft where it applied.

But my other thought, I believe Microsoft is a little late to the party. I know they are trying really hard to take some of the market away from Facebook, or for people that haven't gotten in too deep with one social network already. Google Plus has shown already that you can even get hardcore Facebook users to "switch".

It's going to be interesting to see how all "social networking" plays out in the next couple of years. Most people don't want to have to go to multiple places to connect with people, or keep switching places, so they choose one.

I do think there is some value in social networking, but I personally have never been huge in it. I have had a MySpace, use Facebook only here and there, but my main social network device is my is my phone :) even if it's still a dumb phone. I don't have to be tethered to a computer to talk to my friends or family and can leave a voicemail directly in their pocket :)

jryan388

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
Just because Microsoft bought Skype doesn't mean it loses all identity. It's still Skype, just now Microsoft has a lot more control.

Status
Not open for further replies.