Skype causing CPU to run at max clock speed

mpitroff427

Honorable
Apr 12, 2013
So I have recently noticed that my CPU, a Core i7 3820, will run at its maximum clock speed of 3800 MHz when it should be running somewhere around 1200 MHz when very few programs are running. Doing some investigation, I discovered that culprit appears to be Skype. The clock speed sometimes goes down to normal levels while Skype is running, but it usually takes about 30-45 minutes. Another issue I've seen is that if I try shutting down or restarting my computer, it will usually get hung up on Skype if the CPU hasn't gone to an idle state, so I have to force close the program during these situations. Another note of interest is when it gets hung up on closing Skype in shutdown/restart, when it displays programs it is trying to close, it does not properly display the Skype icon, instead showing the default Windows program icon. Is there anything I can try to fix this issue? I have ran Windows Updater (using Windows 7) and my Skype is up to date.

maxiim

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Skype has been terrible lately, lots of vulnerabilities security wise, their forced ad service being even worse. It is free but I would suggest getting rid of it and moving to something like raidcall. I've had 3 PCs get infected with random adware while they had skype, one I completely reformatted and reinstalled windows and after reinstalling skype had the same infection occur within 2 days, about 3 weeks without skype on all PCs and no issues, I've narrowed it down to skype and got rid of it, I would personally suggest anyone using skype do the same although others might have different opinions about it.

TRENDING THREADS