Slower to wake up from sleep than full boot?

jgustin7b

Prominent
Nov 17, 2017
So, I use a sata ssd to boot windows and all of the Microsoft preinstalled crap. Other programs use a 7200rpm HDD. Whenever I do a full boot, it takes all of 10 seconds to get to the lock screen. When going from sleep, it takes about 5-10 seconds more to get to the lock screen. Is this normal?

Solution
With windows yes, after you boot up cold a ton of background programs start opening running and searching for updates. When it goes to sleep mode all of these are still in the background , meaning that when you wake it up all of the programs have to start up again as well as the OS. Here's a 'fun' experiment I performed on my new Windows 10 machine, turn on sound notification for opening and closing programs, next time you boot up just leave it alone for a few minutes and listen to all of the noise. It may give you a better understanding of how busy your system really is.

brickdem

Prominent
Jan 1, 2018
With windows yes, after you boot up cold a ton of background programs start opening running and searching for updates. When it goes to sleep mode all of these are still in the background , meaning that when you wake it up all of the programs have to start up again as well as the OS. Here's a 'fun' experiment I performed on my new Windows 10 machine, turn on sound notification for opening and closing programs, next time you boot up just leave it alone for a few minutes and listen to all of the noise. It may give you a better understanding of how busy your system really is.

Solution