Solved! Smart TV Audio to 5.1 PC Speaker System

Nov 12, 2018
I was wondering if anyone had some insight on doing this. I have an old Altec Landsing 5.1 PC system (3 - 3.5mm connections) and I'm trying to rig up a cheap home theater setup. I was wondering if I could do S/PDIF out from my TV to a device like this and get true 5.1. The goal is to spend as little as possible and use what I have instead of having to buy an AV receiver....

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004HXGJ3S/ref=psdc_3015427011_t2_B076PC4VV4

The one you link to doesn't mention support for Dolby Digital and other formats. I think it is PC oriented and won't work on a TV where you can't install drivers. One like this should work if your TV will output in bitstream (check the audio menu).
https://www.amazon.com/Optical-Toslink-Coaxial-Digital-Converter/dp/B01DZXWHJA/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_bs_lp_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=67TS72EH1R1VN1AG2WPE
You will lose volume control with the TV since the output is fixed level. You will have to do that with the speakers volume control.

The one you link to doesn't mention support for Dolby Digital and other formats. I think it is PC oriented and won't work on a TV where you can't install drivers. One like this should work if your TV will output in bitstream (check the audio menu).
https://www.amazon.com/Optical-Toslink-Coaxial-Digital-Converter/dp/B01DZXWHJA/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_bs_lp_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=67TS72EH1R1VN1AG2WPE
You will lose volume control with the TV since the output is fixed level. You will have to do that with the speakers volume control.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Audio 2
R Audio 2
R Audio 2
G Audio 1
U Audio 1
T Audio 1
T Audio 3
I Audio 8
J Audio 1
M Audio 4
N Audio 3