Some iPhone 4 Users Think They Already Have 4G

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
I 'have' 4G but can't actually get it where I live... I do in town though but notice little difference in casual use. Still, this report would seam to suggest that iPhone, et.all. users are complete morons... Although honestly, probably the bulk of that would be true...

whooleo

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
Well the iPhone 3G and 3GS only support HSDPA not HSUPA so they half support 3G+ or what AT&T and T-mobile like to call 4G, but the iPhone 4 supports both HSDPA and HSUPA so it fully supports 3G+ or what their definition of 4G is. So under AT&T and T-mobile's definition of 4G the iPhone 4 is a 4G phone.

mortonww

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
It says Android users were not far behind, with 29% believing they had 4G phones. That's not an apples-to-apples (pardon the pun) comparison with the iPhone 4 owner statistic, because 100% of the 34% of iPhone users were wrong, whereas some percentage of the 29% of Android users were correct. So it's also incorrect to conclude that the Blackberry users were "savvier" seeing as how 100% of that 24% is dead wrong, too. At least, I don't know of a 4G Blackberry.

G

As a iPhone 3Gs user, this does not surprise me. There's two sides of this cookie though. The first side is that iPhone 4 users have assumed that's one of the reasons the phone has the number 4. Apple released the iPhone, then the iPhone 3G (b/c of the 3G radio otherwise not just call it the iPhone 2), then the 3Gs that had a faster processor, and now the iPhone 4. Apple was trying to deliberately confuse people. It may not have include the "G" at the end of the device name, but they were inkling at it, plus they're at "3" now so they couldn't go back in numbers either. Now the other side of the cookie. AT&T has done a lot of false marketing to trick people. This has only blurred the line of what true 4G really is. Telecom companies should not be able to market like this. There may be requirement standards and the nitty-gritty is quite complicated, but there needs to be a new consumer friendly simple standard that consumers need to be easily presented with. Consumers don't need to know all these radios types, just the true upload and download speeds. If a phone falls into a speed range it can be called 4G and the position it lies in should be presentable to customers.

G

Oh and I hate the iPhone 4, hence why I haven't gotten one. There's too much Android eye candy out there, but I'm still curious to see what the iPhone 5 has to offer before I buy.

mortonww

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
4G is a nice luxury to have. I've got the Droid Charge and the speeds are very fast. Apps download faster than you can pull the window shade down.

wopr11

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011
Surprises me that only 34% of the iPhone users believed they had 4G - bet if Steve tells them they do have it they will believe it and the number will jump to 99.9%

maddad

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
dcompart,
I agree on the way Apple named the 3G and then the 3GS. but I seriously doubt they were trying to fool people with the Iphone 4. It was a total redesign of the phone, not just another processor upgrade to the the 3G. Therefore a next version gets the number 4 nomenclature. The same is true when companies name software revisions. If you are paying 400-500$ for a phone you should at least read up on the specifications of what the phone can do. Don't blame Apple or any of the other phone companies, if people just come out of pocket out of stupidity.

bgaimur

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
[citation][nom]Whooleo[/nom]Well the iPhone 3G and 3GS only support HSDPA not HSUPA so they half support 3G+ or what AT&T and T-mobile like to call 4G, but the iPhone 4 supports both HSDPA and HSUPA so it fully supports 3G+ or what their definition of 4G is. So under AT&T and T-mobile's definition of 4G the iPhone 4 is a 4G phone.[/citation]
No, there's no "3G+". You're further blurring the lines between two distinctly different technologies, and no, the iphone does not support 4G at all, whatsoever, in any form. So by definition, the iphone supports 3G technology on every carrier to date. Also, AT&T currently has no actual 4G coverage anywhere. Either does tmobile.

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
maddad, dont make excuses for apple's customer base

you know the only reason they sell so many is people are too thick to read and understand the specs compared to other phones

surveyer: who makes the most powerfully phones
apple fan: err apple
surveyer: who makes the most technologically advanced phones
apple fan: err apple

ballinjoey2332

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2010
This report explains why so many ppl prefer ios over android. There is so many retarded and lazy ass ppl in this world that need a simple and boring operating system to know how to work it.

c0oim4n

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2010
If anybody says 4G, it's considered false advertising. "The current versions of these technologies provide downstream peak bitrates of 144 Mbit/s and 100 Mbit/s respectively, and do consequently not fulfill the original ITU-R requirements of data rates approximately up to 1 Gbit/s for 4G systems." From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4G. They claim 4G speed, but if it was actually 4G we'd be seeing wireless tech far beyond anything we see now, even with a lot of home and business network access.

walter87

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
Just goes to show most consumers have no idea what the specs mean.
All they care about are the 'gee-bees' etc.

Of course it doesn't help that idiots like AT&T advertise their HSPA+ service as a 4G service (even though the iphone 4 doesn't support this).

Status
Not open for further replies.