Solved! Something wrong with Sony TV? Can't watch Netflix/Amazon Prime or YouTube.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBigFella

Commendable
Jun 29, 2016
I've got a Sony Bravia KDL-65W850C TV. It has the inbuilt Netflix, Amazon Prime & YouTube apps. I can't get through a single movie without it taking ages to buffer &/or then stopping & telling me to try again later.
YouTube works perfect if I do it through my TelstraTV box.
The apps work fine on our XBox, tablets & Androids. (Pity it won't miracast)

So is there something I can change on my TV or am I stuffed?

I have a FTTN 100/40 connection & the speed tests all come back & tell me that I am running at about 85/45Mbps

Solution
make sure the tv has the newest firmware on it. try turning off password on your wifi see if it runs better. if not try open dns or google dns see if it an isp or tv issue.

Mark RM

Estimable
Jul 16, 2014
Your TV could be placed in a such a way that it's suffering from poor connectivity to the wireless network. Can you tell what frequencies it's using (2.4 or 5Ghz) and how good the signal it's getting is? Maybe you can see this from your wireless AP management screen?

TheBigFella

Commendable
Jun 29, 2016
Sorry I should have said that I have it running through a Power-line connector. I was trying to avoid wifi congestion by doing it this way.
Every other wifi connection throughout the house is great

Mark RM

Estimable
Jul 16, 2014
It's a fairly straight forward android OS, drop the power line connection and see what happens with wireless as a test. 5Ghz home AP's get around most connection issues these days because their penetration is so limited.

TheBigFella

Commendable
Jun 29, 2016

ok cool I'll try this tonight during the "Netflix Hours"

TheBigFella

Commendable
Jun 29, 2016

Yep I'm in Australia. But how would changing my IP address help? I have an Australian Netflix account & when I went through the Telstra TV box it worked perfectly. Every other electronic item in the house works great, it's just this tv. It won't even play Youtube without buffering issues..
But again if I watch it through my Telstra TV everything works great. I just wish that Telstra had an Amazon app available.

timmy_area51

Prominent
Sep 28, 2017

sorry i didn't know netflix worked in australia , i know Hulu doesn't and you gotta have an american IP . i think you gotta check your Bravia's region if it's meant for australia and such , you can always change your IP to an american IP and don't even bother , i suspect that might work . if it's anrdoid tv i guess you can even install the VPN you purchase on your tv.

TheBigFella

Commendable
Jun 29, 2016

Yeah I'm going to get stuck into Sony tomorrow & get them to explain it & fix it or the TV goes back

timmy_area51

Prominent
Sep 28, 2017

whatever works for you mate , my sony tv (my parents') doesn't update because of a similar issue . but if you try a vpn it might change the way you think i myself use VYPrvpn it's not as cheap as NordVPN but it's quite good

TheBigFella

Commendable
Jun 29, 2016

Cheers for that.. I'l try that if I get nowhere with Sony

Status
Not open for further replies.