Sony 5.1 home theater rear speakers do not work (with Hisense 4K smart TV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

stellgp

Prominent
Apr 3, 2017
I got a Hisense 4K smart TV and a Sony 5.1 home theater system. Rear speakers, although tested and function well on test mode, do not emit any sound when playing a TV program.

Solution

Usually the music will only be in stereo anyway, so the system is working correctly in that sense. Also, dont forget that when you have a sound track on a film or a game etc that is in 'surround sound' the rear speakers will be...
Try using the 5 channel stereo mode. if that works, then it is either the fact that what you are watching is not encoded with a surround sound - soundtrack, or the A/V receiver is not on the correct decode mode.

Try the 5 channel stereo mode, or whatever the equivalent mode for your system is, and let us know how you get on!

Edit: Normal day to day programs tend not to be recorded in surround sound, try watching a good recent action film and have a play with the different surround modes!

Good luck!
Kenton.

stellgp

Prominent
Apr 3, 2017

stellgp

Prominent
Apr 3, 2017
Thank you for your reply! This Sony home theater system does not have the 5-channel stereo mode. But, I tried the HDMI mode (ON) on Settings (not the HDMI + Sound Mode - rear speakers get disabled if you choose that), and then the sound modes worked differently: with ProLogic the rear speakers worked but in very low volume, with C:6 Cinema and C:6 Music they work fine and clear, and with Sound Mode On only the center speaker works (even the front L+R are disabled in this mode). Boy, it took a while (lol).

SAMVARDAN

Prominent
Apr 27, 2017

Did it work finally ??? Because i have the same problem......

Usually the music will only be in stereo anyway, so the system is working correctly in that sense. Also, dont forget that when you have a sound track on a film or a game etc that is in 'surround sound' the rear speakers will be much quieter than the front as this is also normal. The rear speakers in movies almost never produce the same amount of volume as the rest. You could look in the menu and see if you can adjust the gain for the rear's (+/- db). Or on some A/V units, you can adjust the distance that the speakers are from where you sit, which will make them louder or quieter.

Good on you for persevering with this though, its the best way to learn your way around a system!

Hope this will help you more.

K.

Solution

morganz187

Prominent
Jan 21, 2018

Easy fix press menu go to spk then sur L then turn up the volume to lvl 6 and do the same with sur R ....had the same problem but now it works with everything I’m watching

Status
Not open for further replies.