Sony: Apple Devices Aren't a Threat

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Sony and Nintendo's customer base is less likely to abandon them. There are not very many hardcore gamers that game on an iPod or will ever switch to an iPod as a primary gamins console whereas Apple is loosing a ton of people to Droid, Galaxy, G1 and the like. As Apple looses it's customers, so does it loose the casual gamers...

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Sony is kidding themselves. I for one am happy to once again see US electronics companies being innovative again! Go Apple!!!! I hope more US companies become innovative and not follow Apple by making similar devices.

braneman

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
apple is a fad, not much else to say here, once they stop being a fad people will realize most of their strategy is a placebo.

Strider-Hiryu_79

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
Yah the day apple takes over the gaming industry and dominates not just the console trio(sony, ms, nintendo) and PC gaming industry is the day pigs fly.

So far MAC ported PC games run like crap even with powerful hardware. Compare orange box on mac vs pc/360/ps3 for example. Fail

I'm sure the gaming review(especially those that are zombified and/or paid by apple) community is just on the verge of declaring the "angry bird" app as game of the year compared to the other stellar games out this year.

Keep hoping apple fans. It ain't happening.

sactownbwoy

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
I don't understand the fascination with gaming on the i-devices. They are good for about 2 min then I am bored and ready to play a real game with real controls be it pc or console. I have had an iphone/ipod touch/ipad and sold all of them because they are garbage.

If I want to game on the go I pick up my PSP, where I can play real games that have some substance to them.

G

sony and nintendo, xbox is for real, serious gamers. people acturally knowing what they want with games with more adventure, apply games is just some little sister games for people who is been bor and want to kill off some waiting time when they hide in the bathroom away frmm the job. ride on the bus, the hospital. or people who never experece ture games in their life. apple games that can stop anytime without thinking. off the bus.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Sure, Sony we believe you. Apple is no threat whatsoever to portable gaming.

So why bother making up an ad that pokes fun at playing games on a phone if it's no threat to you?

I let my kids play with Nintendo and PSP and decided not to buy either. They're happily enjoying my old iPhone 3G's.

LOL at all the "serious gamer" comments. Please, anyone into serious gaming will have a gaming rig (like I do) and not play around with consoles.

fyasko

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
Mac has become a name with very little to back it up. in the 90's and early this decade the apple had great products and powerful alternatives to windows products. now they offer up mid-range products at premium prices. vista was a disaster and xp is great if one found an affordable bundle of hardware that played nice together. macs had a space, but now that google, MSFT, AMD and Intel are pushing out great products their is little need for apple.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
LOL sure eric.. I do have a hell of a gaming computer, have 2-xbox 360's, a wii, and getting a ps3.. They all have their pros and cons.

But i-crap apps is just that. It's something to do when you're bored. Which don't get me wrong I think it will help expend the market and even help the big 3 out. As people who never played games before probably have started, and then their gonna want to try real games.

Rab1d-BDGR

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
Saying that iPad games are a threat to Sony and Nintendo is like saying that broweser-based flash games are a threat to Activision! I mean farmville has "surpassed" the Sims as the #1 PC game... right?

...Although maybe the iFad games are a threat to those casual time-waster games on the DS like sudoko and brain training - I could see those things jump ship to the smartphone market, which would be a good thing for serious gamers as handheld consoles could once again focus on real gaming titles and not stuff for kids and grannies.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]Please, anyone into serious gaming will have a gaming rig (like I do) and not play around with consoles.[/citation]
This is where you're wrong. There are tons of titles that are released to consoles that never appear on the PC unfortunately. So any serious gamer will try to have as many systems as possible.

aethm

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
I wouldn't say it's a threat but it's definitely a thorn. Apple, (and other) phone games are taking money out of the pool.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
I agree with Sony. Hardcore gamers won't be buying an Apple for gaming anytime soon.

Casual gamers that only play games on their phone or computer when they are board or waiting for something it the kind of gamers Apple gets. Those are people like my wife. She mostly just played brickbreaker on her blackberry until she got the Bold now there is a new casual game she plays. Trust me you will never see her play Starcraft II or any games on the Playstation 3 and she is extremely unlikely to spend any more than $9.99 on a game. She would buy a game like Tetris, Suduko you know the kind, little rinky dink games like bejeweled or puzzle games. People like her are what the Apple market has. A real gamer like myself, I have Starcraft II and the God of War collection. She would never play games like those. So, Sony is correct because Apple has attacted gamers like my wife. Not REAL gamers, just people that play games when they are board.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
I agree with Sony. People will still be buying Sony/Nintendo products regardless of how potent the iDevice platform becomes.

But that doesn't mean Sony should be caught standing still.

Status
Not open for further replies.