Sony Bravia TV: Can't figure out how to play .avi with subtitles

mint-ch

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012
Hi all

I bought a new Sony Bravia KDL 40HX85x and now I am trying to run videos in .avi format from an USB stick that I plug into the TV. I have subtitles in the .srt format in the same directory with the same name as the video. Example:

HDVideo1.avi
HDVideo1.srt

I push the subtitle-button on my remote while playing the .avi, but it says that the subtitles are not available. I tried to convert the subtitle file to .ssa and to .sub/.idx, but to no avail. This is driving me nuts. How the hell can I play .avi files with subtitles? On Samsung TV it works fine, but Sony doesn't seem to know what they are doing. Why the can't implement the (imho) standard subtitle format on the web is beyond me!

Also I tried to run .mkv movies, but this doesn't work at all. I had to mux them (whatever that is) using tsMuxeR to .m2ts files. Here I am also unable to display any subtitles.

Help is much appreciated. Getting tired of running with the usb stick between my computer and my TV :pt1cable:

Cheers

mint-ch

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012
Hi americanaudiophile

Thanks. I am aware of the possibility to hardcode them into the video, but I think of it as a last resort (in fact, I will buy a Multimedia player before i start converting and hardcoding stuff). I would really like to be able to activate and deactivate subtitles, as I really only put them for my girlfriend. i don't like them so much.

It's just that my samsung TV can read .srt, .mkv and all sorts of stuff without any problem.

It strikes me as odd that the Sony is so damn incompatible with everything.

TRENDING THREADS