Sony Hints PS4 Won't Arrive Much Later Than Xbox 720

Status
Not open for further replies.

de5_Roy

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
ps4 will still be overpriced, be berated by price-sensible console gamers (lol) and will have a higher chance of being outdone by future smartphones, tablets and best of all.... gaming desktop pcs.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]de5_roy[/nom]ps4 will still be overpriced, be berated by price-sensible console gamers (lol) and will have a higher chance of being outdone by future smartphones, tablets and best of all.... gaming desktop pcs.[/citation]

yes because overpricing the PS3 turned out really well. so yea sony is a company that doesn't learn anything

FAIL

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
given the direction of computers, the vast choice of form factors and the quality of internet these days.

Consoles should be right about dead to any right minded individual.

Specs are crap, 'peripherals' are expensive and are not standard and makes poor use of multiplayer. (CoD is just one large baby monitor given the crying you hear on it)

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]If I was a gamer, which I definably am not, I'd rather go the console route. Just one high end video card cost as much as an entire game console. At least the console isn't obsolete after 12 months. I'm sure I'll be thumbed down mercilessness now..lol[/citation]

i am more of a console gamer but i'd still rather play a FPS on a PC with a mouse and keyboard

G

I know several gamers who gave in and switched to consoles because they can sit in a big comfy couch in front of a huge tv and are tired of a lot of the computer games just being console ports.

RADIO_ACTIVE

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]remy1[/nom]I know several gamers who gave in and switched to consoles because they can sit in a big comfy couch in front of a huge tv and are tired of a lot of the computer games just being console ports.[/citation]
My PC can be hooked up to that same TV and I have a nice comfy couch in front of it... I also have a keyboard and mouse tray that scoots up to you on the couch, so no need for twiddling my thumbs.

j5689

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2009
Geez, just release a new console already ffs, these damn things are KILLING progress, especially the 360 since it's the lowest common denominator of the two main consoles hardware-wise and it only has a DVD drive in it so all these game companies are still programming for ~ an 8GB disc to keep things simple and there's only so much you can do in a game with that much space forever.

Glad to hear there's at least a 720 very likely in the works, I hope MS either sucks it up and gets the licensing for Blu-Ray from Sony, or just uses some sort of proprietary format larger than DVD, perhaps such as bringing HD-DVDs back just to use them as game discs, it's not like the licensing won't be cheap as hell since it's a dead format(but still vastly superior to DVD, don't forget) and it doesn't hurt to make it the new standard this time since the console is only in development. And it will allow larger/higher visual quality games to finally hit the market for all platforms. After thinking about it, I really hope they consider this, or at the very least switching to some other larger format, the DVD is stagnating progress

wererat

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
[citation][nom]remy1[/nom]I know several gamers who gave in and switched to consoles because they can sit in a big comfy couch in front of a huge tv and are tired of a lot of the computer games just being console ports.[/citation]

I'm considering the opposite route (building a HTPC / livingroom gaming machine) funded by whatever I can get out of of my current-gen consoles.

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
It's true, once a console comes out it is already dated. Once they R&D and build then sell the system, the technology is old. HOWEVER, the games are built specifically for the hardware, so they run more optimal, unlike PC games which have to work on a variety on configurations. PC gaming is great, but console gaming will always be more simple and mainstream. You can look at a PS3 game like Uncharted 3 and see what they can do on aging hardware. I won't be needing a new console for a while.

KelvinTy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
Will they put more ram into console? That should be interesting, 512MB just isn't quite enough for anything.
Would they implement more ergonomics and maybe even variety of input devices? Controller crossovers and more 3rd party controllers.
3rd party hardisks, chargers, customized themes, etc... There are so much more improvement that can be made...

MasterMace

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]If I was a gamer, which I definably am not, I'd rather go the console route. Just one high end video card cost as much as an entire game console. At least the console isn't obsolete after 12 months. I'm sure I'll be thumbed down mercilessness now..lol[/citation]

Of course you'll be thumbed down mercilessly. You're talking nonsense. Just one high end video card grinds an entire game console into the dirt. A PS3 costs what? $300? That's about how much a GTX 570 / Radeon 6970 goes for. You think the PS3 can hold a candle to those cards? I think not.

The PS3's graphics is a castrated 7900GT. Try running any games on that card, they'll look horrible, as horrible as they do on the PS3. The cell processor runs around 14.3 gflops of double precision. An Athlon II X2 at stock speeds pulls 19.8 gflops. Don't give us this crap of "well the console only costs x and isn't obsolete after x".

The PS3 has been obsolete for years. Companies shit all over game quality to make it work on consoles. The PS3 came out in November 2006, the 7900GT in March 2006. You can build a computer more powerful than a PS3 for less than the PS3 costs, with games of higher quality than a PS3, and hell you can even plug in a PS3 controller if your so infatuated with it, and didn't want to use a keyboard+mouse.

G

To those of you arguing that PCs are better than consoles because of better hardware, you are kinda missing a key point: Consoles have games that PCs do not. That's really the bottom line. If you want to play a console-exclusive game, having the most powerful PC in the world isn't going to mean anything to you. Sure, there are emulators, but unless your PC can read the discs, you'll have to pirate the games. Emulators for recent consoles are also not complete.

What really needs to happen is a more streamlined interface needs to be developed for PCs that will allow console users to easily migrate. They need to be able to just hook up their PC to a TV, pop in a game disc, and play without worrying about installation options, driver compatibility, or DRM. However, I don't ever see that happening.

graysoniv

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
This is a good thing. The quicker consoles have a hardware refresh the better.

I hate to say it but consoles really have slowed down the progress of video games (in terms of graphics and to some extent user interface).

Lets be honest it's more lucrative to develop for consoles, innovation be damned.

Nick_C

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
Developers and publishers *only* make games to make money.

If a PC game requires relatively high end hardware to play then the developer is restricting their target market.

Console development is all about making the most out of fixed hardware and a few significant peripherals (e.g. Kinect). The target market is all of the consoles sold of that type (excluding of course the ones which have RROD'd, etc).

Gamers who don't necessarily play regularly but want to spend a few hours here and there on a game are, IMO, more likely to pick a console than ensure that the game that they want to play is easily handled by their PC.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

Oh yes, you will be! *thumbs the troll down*

You get what you pay for. IME, all console owners I know STILL have a PC (in 75% of the cases, it's a desktop...) for e-mail, word processing and other PC-specific things. So... why have both? :D My gaming rig can do everything.

darknate

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
" And it will allow larger/higher visual quality games to finally hit the market for all platforms."
give me an actual citation proving this little comment. this isnt the time for 2d graphics or pre-loaded crap.

"The PS3 has been obsolete for years."
this isnt just about 1 item. this is about a hd, blu-ray drive, cpu and video card. i want to see the hard facts of you building one with a case and power supply since its a TOTAL package when you buy the console. lets not forget the operating system that companies are developing mainstream games for.

loomis86

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
[citation][nom]j5689[/nom]Geez, just release a new console already ffs, these damn things are KILLING progress, especially the 360 since it's the lowest common denominator of the two main consoles hardware-wise and it only has a DVD drive in it so all these game companies are still programming for ~ an 8GB disc to keep things simple and there's only so much you can do in a game with that much space forever.Glad to hear there's at least a 720 very likely in the works, I hope MS either sucks it up and gets the licensing for Blu-Ray from Sony, or just uses some sort of proprietary format larger than DVD, perhaps such as bringing HD-DVDs back just to use them as game discs, it's not like the licensing won't be cheap as hell since it's a dead format(but still vastly superior to DVD, don't forget) and it doesn't hurt to make it the new standard this time since the console is only in development. And it will allow larger/higher visual quality games to finally hit the market for all platforms. After thinking about it, I really hope they consider this, or at the very least switching to some other larger format, the DVD is stagnating progress[/citation]

I hope to GOD the new xbox uses something BESIDES optical disks. Give us the game on an SDHC or SDXC card and let the game run mostly off a large hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.