Sony Launches Surround Sound System for PS3

Status
Not open for further replies.

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
Will be interested to see reviews of this. Have been looking for a convenient way to get some improved sound without the means to run more than a two-speaker setup, but sound bars seem to get pretty mixed reviews - fingers crossed this one will be worthwhile.

hispeed120

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2008
Seems like a lot of money for a 2.1 system. I have enjoyed my Z-5500 hooked up to the PS3 so far, and was able to score those for about $150.

I guess it's cool that it can simulate Dolby or DTS surround across a 2.1-channel system, though I don't know how it would actually compete with a true surround system.

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
[citation][nom]thebigt42[/nom]Its not surround Sound is 2.1...NO Rear Speakers[/citation]

That's why it's called "virtual surround," smarts.

[citation][nom]hispeed120[/nom]I guess it's cool that it can simulate Dolby or DTS surround across a 2.1-channel system, though I don't know how it would actually compete with a true surround system.[/citation]

General consensus with sound bars is that they fall short in any attempt to simulate surround, unless you're in a perfectly rectangular area where you can get the sound to bounce off the surface behind you. Some people seem to think it's great, though.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Simulating a 5.1 capability over a 2.1 system will, in effect, be a 2.1 system. There is really no way for the config to project sound behind you (back channels in a 5.1 config). While this soundbar solution looks nice, I see limited utility in such a solution.

tsnorquist

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
@hispeed120

Couldn't agree more with you. I have a Z-5500 set hooked up to my living room TV/PS3. For what they cost, you simply can't beat how well they perform.

festerovic

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
This is not needed when you can get a HDMI receiver that does LPCM 7.1 playback for under $200, plus a few speakers, and you are at a little over the cost of this 50w system. Besides, the PS3 does all the decoding for BR and games, it's not needed to get a receiver that does Dolby or DTS.

Sony has a habit of making audio products for specific/niche purposes, many of which have some extreme shortcomings.

redguard117

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
[citation][nom]restatement3dofted[/nom]Will be interested to see reviews of this. Have been looking for a convenient way to get some improved sound without the means to run more than a two-speaker setup, but sound bars seem to get pretty mixed reviews - fingers crossed this one will be worthwhile.[/citation]

Try the Polk SurroundBar 50, only $1000 and excellent performance. You might think it expensive at first, but compare it to offerings from Mirage, Martin Logan, and Revel, and its actually insanely cheap

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
[citation][nom]godnodog[/nom]That´s odd $199 =/= €199apparently Sony doesn´t know how to make connversions[/citation]

Maybe it's intentional? (cheaper in US)

Also $200 is too expensive.

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
I'll stick to my custom built speakers which put out:
400 watts subwoofer,
200 watts midtoner
2x 100 watts tweeter.

that is for one speaker, multiply that by 2, and then add some cheap $30 speakers for surround and center.

total cost to build: $450.
performance: better than cinema (not joking)

sorry I don't mean to fap but I think it is pathetic that people buy these overpriced things which probably end up sounding horrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.