Sony Reveals Quad-core, Touchscreen PSP2

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tntom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
WP7 = XBox and PSPhone = PS3. I wonder if Apple is considering buying Nintendo since they would make a good match target audience wise. Apple has the funds to do so and Nintendo might loose some market if 3DS is not a hit long term.

I hope the PSP2 has HDMI out! I've already seen videos of dual core android devices outputting 3D accelerated HD games to large televisions.

jestern

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
Wow.

What can I say that sounds substantial? I mean it *sounds* great. No gimmicky '3D' anything, Wifi, Bluetooth, touchscreen, GPS, accelerometer, OLED, cameras! (probably decent MP too) high-speed & compact storage tech...gosh..and it almost *sounds* like it could run Android, doesn't it? :eek:) It *sounds* like a 'mature' handheld gaming device.

All it needs is the games and a good entry price. And I'm just about ready to play ANYTHING that isn't stamped by Nintendo. Anyone else tired of Nintendo & the DS or *not* looking forward to GBA/DS remakes on the 3DS employing dramatically new and advanced '3D' gameplay 'advances'??

If this puppy pops for $299 it'd be worth it to me. Bring on the Sony handheld dominance I say.
Nintendo has gotten filthy rich with mostly rehashes and shovelware.

But nothing's perfect eh? *rolleyes* Bring on the complaints and nitpicking and hacking and let's see how fast we can help drive Sony and this gem into the ground.

Me, I'll be P.O'd big-time if it doesn't have an integrated FM tuner. That'll be my denouncing cry. If it doesn't have an FM tuner, I won't buy it!
^^^ I'm kidding! ^^^

P.S. hmmm...curious about what this, 'rear touchpad' thingie could be...

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
[citation][nom]pudgychicken[/nom]... I'll only buy it if I can run Linux on it.[/citation]
WTF! Its a game system, not some damn computer! What are you going to say next... Can it run Crysis.... GFYS!

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
I guess this means the playstation store will get about eleventy billion PS2 ports.

That's actually not a bad thing, I'd love me some FFX and FFXII on a portable and not to mention all the other great PS2 titles. Guessing from the specs I'd say they can probably even ramp up the graphics on them pretty well too considering it looks to be pushing almost PS3 level graphics.

blader15sk8

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
[citation][nom]gto127[/nom]Wow . Power VR GPU . I haven't heard that name since the 3dfx days. I thought they were extinct.[/citation]

You don't read up on many smartphones then.

dirgle

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Great specs list!

Now, I wonder what features Sony will begin deactivating first, after customers have already purchased the device.

kkiddu

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
Does it play Crysis ? lol

Finally we have a mobile device that's got four times the cores my processor does. Maybe I should get a cave so that my Athlon 2400+ feels at home.

lashton

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
[citation][nom]amk09[/nom]You realize that more cores normally means better effiency, right?[/citation]

you know more cores also mean more power used right

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]DjEaZy[/nom]... specs sounds like next gen iPhone and/or iPod Touch... preemptive strike from sony... but... will sony have 250'000 app's and counting?[/citation]
Over 50% of them fart apps, no less? ;)

iam2thecrowe

Distinguished
it will be ineresting to see what this thing can do. I think the next gen consoles should come back with ROM cartridges. Its frustrating to play GT5 and when entering every single race say "installing"

eberleeeee

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
The hardware sounds great, my biggest concern is the price and life of the OLED screen. Currently I don't see it coming out at any cheaper than $350, and the screen probably won't last any longer than 10 years of slight to moderate use.

notuptome2004

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
[citation][nom]stevo777[/nom]Sorry, I meant to say front facing webcam--at least I don't see one. I'm into the Skype thing.[/citation]

it has a front facing cam right next to the triangle button that is a cam

adamboy64

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
It's got a nice big screen. Apparently it will have dual cameras, not sure if they were on the device shown yesterday.

Still, people all over will be complaining when the price is unveiled..

Status
Not open for further replies.