Sony Reveals Quad-core, Touchscreen PSP2

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
Cannot fault the specs..impressive. Sony is clearly intending for the this device to be more than just a hand-held games machine.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]amk09[/nom]You realize that more cores normally means better effiency, right?[/citation]
Not if you're using them. For a non-gaming device, maybe. You can do tasks faster and at a lower CPU load. But if games really load up these high powered CPU and GPU, I'd imagine it is fairly taxing on the battery. At least for the first gen units, they'll need a beefy battery.

Anyway, I suspected a fast multicore SGX 543MP, based on previous speculation, but I'm somewhat surprised to see a quad core A9-based CPU.

cpatel1987

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
Woh godlike specs! Battery life would be a problem though, especially for beginner users who would leave the 3g, wifi, bluetooth, and GPS on all the time, unless of course Sony has an intelligent way of ensuring they are off when not in use.

Price: I would be surprised if its lower than $400. If it is, all specs considered it would be a steal with all that it has. Although there goes Sony again trying to jam so many excess features into something whose primary purpose is to play games. I think they went a step too far implementing 3G and a GPS. Hopefully they will make different models at different pricepoints.

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
[citation][nom]Travis Beane[/nom]No, no it is not. I want 32GB internal storage and dual SD slots. I have no intent of carrying a dozen little memory chips.I also want Sony to finally get their act together with their PSP games. Only a few are worth the money in my opinion.[/citation]

The PSP was the biggest gimmick ever, more so than even Apple products. It could be that I'm older now or something, but that thing looked like the biggest money pit ever. I think my buddy got one brand new, but I also think he played like one or two games, let it sit for a year or two, and sold it off.

helldog3105

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
[citation][nom]gto127[/nom]Wow . Power VR GPU . I haven't heard that name since the 3dfx days. I thought they were extinct.[/citation]

PowerVR has been doing pretty much most, if not all of the graphics chipsets in phones recently. It's in the iPhone, and the iPad, as well as a bunch of the Android phones. Only a select few right now have the Tegra platform.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]helldog3105[/nom]PowerVR has been doing pretty much most, if not all of the graphics chipsets in phones recently. It's in the iPhone, and the iPad, as well as a bunch of the Android phones. Only a select few right now have the Tegra platform.[/citation]
Well there's also a bunch out there with Adeno graphics, but in terms of design wins PowerVR's SGX series trumps them all. That's probably because they can dish out good performance and are very power efficient too.

I'm certain Sony evaluated all current designs and determined that going with a 4 core SGX 543 was the best current route for power/performance. They could have gone with more SGX cores (it scales up to 16 cores currently IIRC), but that would mean more power and heat.

stevo777

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
[citation][nom]notuptome2004[/nom]it has a front facing cam right next to the triangle button that is a cam[/citation]
Geez it's just so well implemented\small I didn't even see it--I was thinking it would be up top. Thanks. Very cool!

Status
Not open for further replies.