Sony Reveals Quad-core, Touchscreen PSP2

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boxa786

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
Im no console lover or handheld gamer, but the specs on this look beefy and awesome, however, I think they have a little too much for such a small device. Specs on this could be better used on a android tablet with a bigger battery, which would make perfect sense.

lazymangaka

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
I'll be waiting until I have my hands on both the 3DS and the NGP/PSP2 before I declare a personal winner. Sony's definitely made a contest out of this though. It's gonna get interesting.

dargon_supreme

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
And here is the new PSP2... well, it is not here actually, but it is very close, maybe only 10 months... But look at the specifications... well, it can be modified depending on production costs, and we are not sure about the performance... But it is the best thing we created... well, when it is finished... but for a good price... er... when it is priced.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
[citation][nom]Griffolion[/nom]I've just jizzed in my pants.[/citation]

Its not my fault you were touching my butt, if you tell anyone I'll call you a slut

JIZZ IN MY PANTS

liveonc

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
[citation][nom]thefog101[/nom]Customer: "Hey Guys Look at that! its a PSP2! I want to have a go"Store Owner: "Sure just let me take it off charge" (Hands PSP2 Over)Customer: "Wow! this is awesome! Wait what just happened! LOW BATTERY!!! WHY GOD WHY!!!"[/citation]

I can ONLY play Angry Birds on my Xperia x10. Anything else won't get me so hooked for long enough to get a low battery warning. You'll need larger batteries, a mobile battery charger, or a wall socket.

fleeb

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
[citation][nom]DjEaZy[/nom]... specs sounds like next gen iPhone and/or iPod Touch... preemptive strike from sony... but... will sony have 250'000 app's and counting?[/citation]

PSP - games, not apps.

Also, iP5 = only dual core CPU and dual core GPU, not quad core.

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
[citation][nom]bill gates is your daddy[/nom]Is it wrong for me to say that I liked the photoshopped artist renditions of the PSP2 better than the real thing?[/citation]
No, no it is not. :(
I want 32GB internal storage and dual SD slots. I have no intent of carrying a dozen little memory chips.
I also want Sony to finally get their act together with their PSP games. Only a few are worth the money in my opinion.

noblerabbit

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
If this is 1st Gen AMOLED like my Cowon S9, then you won't see Jack Squat in the daylight.

If this is an improved SuperAMOLED Then I may recommend you buy it, I still won't. PSP games aren't my thing.

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
Guys if it's any use I pulled this off the Imagination Technologies website.. http://www.imgtec.com/news/release/index.asp?newsid=449

The POWERVR SGX543MP family enables up to sixteen cores of POWERVR SGX543 programmable GP-GPU logic to be integrated in a high performance, multi-processor graphics solution without performance or silicon area compromises. Taking the already high-performance four-pipe POWERVR SGX543, and then scaling that performance up to between eight and 64 pipelines, POWERVR SGX543MP delivers performance comparable to many desktops, laptops and games consoles.

At 200MHz core frequency an SGX543MP4 (four cores) will deliver 133 million polygons per second and fill rates in excess of 4Gpixels/sec**. Higher frequencies or a larger number of cores each deliver more performance. At 400MHz core frequency an SGX543MP8 (eight cores) will deliver 532 million polygons per second and fill rates in excess of 16Gpixels/sec.

At 200MHz core frequency an SGX543MP4 (four cores) will deliver 133 million polygons per second and fill rates in excess of 4Gpixels/sec**. Higher frequencies or a larger number of cores each deliver more performance. At 400MHz core frequency an SGX543MP8 (eight cores) will deliver 532 million polygons per second and fill rates in excess of 16Gpixels/sec.

POWERVR SGX543MP features:
maintains the highest performance per mW of any embedded graphics core, a key benefit of POWERVR SGX
highly linear scaling (over 95% efficiency) of performance in both geometry (vertex processing) and rasterisation (pixel/fragment processing)
dynamic load balancing and on-demand task allocation at the pipeline level
no fixed allocation of given pixels to specific cores, enabling maximum processing power to be allocated to the areas of highest on-screen action
scalable GP-GPU compute power, which can be fully utilised through all Khronos APIs including OpenGL ES 2.x, OpenVG™ 1.x and OpenCL™
use any number of cores from 2-16, even or odd
no additional work for software developers; using one driver stack for all SGX cores means applications see a common SGX architecture via the standard APIs regardless of number of cores used
no additional CPU load when using multiple cores or loss of performance

danglang23

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
What good are all the high specs if you cant comfortably use the device?

Dual analog sticks is nice but I still don't think this thing will fit my hands. The buttons and the snazzy new analog sticks are still right against the edge of the device so you have to crunch your hands up to hold the controls. I know size is a big issue but think about an Xbox 360 controller. You have the whole lot of controller to grip and put the joysticks in a comfortable position. Hopefully Sony will release a high quality grip attachment that can be taken off and stored in a compact case or something.

reprotected

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
To be honest, I'm going to stick with the 3DS or nothing at all. Graphics don't mean a lot to me, and Quad-core really means nothing to me. It's much like AMD Athlon X4s vs. Intel Core i3. I'm sure even with the major battery loss with the 3DS, it still has the ability to outlive the PSP2.

Netherscourge

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
[citation][nom]gto127[/nom]Wow . Power VR GPU . I haven't heard that name since the 3dfx days. I thought they were extinct.[/citation]

The Sega Dreamcast used a PowerVR CPU too, if I recall. That was a single-core though.

lazymangaka

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
[citation][nom]pudgychicken[/nom]... I'll only buy it if I can run Linux on it.[/citation]

You'll be able to, but only for a few years before they decide otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.