Sony Vaio laptop, blank screen on startup, charger light not disappering when removing charger.

AndrettiSC

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013
Hello

I'm assisting a friend of mine with her laptop (a Sony Vaio). When the power button is pressed the light of the power buttons lights up, but nothing appears on the screen, there isn't even backlight. And when the charger cable is plugged in and removed again the charger light doesn't go out.
There are no out of the ordinary sounds coming from the laptop.
I suggested that she tried with an external monitor but nothing showed on the TV.

I think it' the power supply in the laptop, but i'm not certain.

I wanted to hear if anyone had some feedback for a possible solution as the laptop is needed for college :)

Regards Andreas

qazzi

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013
well you have power but no display even in external display...sounds like a video card problem...have a laptop technician take a look. in which he can repair or replace the video card. but it's gonna cost.

azguard4

Estimable
Aug 19, 2014

Not something I've ever come across nor do any of the computer shops in my area do that. @AndrettiSC I suppose you could contact a computer shop in your area but I can pretty much guarantee they're going to tell you the system board has to be replaced and it's not worth the cost.

qazzi

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013
i agree with azgaurd4 when the tech's says the motherboard needs replacement then it's not worth it. suggest go online and find a forum or site from your area/country that actually do video card replacement or repair. some tech's don't know or don't do those.