Sony Vaio VPCYB35AG does not POST/BOOT

RodelioR

Commendable
Sep 29, 2016
Yesterday it's battery was low so it's LED was blinking, as I was going home already I long pressed the Power button to turn it off. But upon trying to turn it again, only its LED is now turning on, there is no indicator that the harddisk is active (checked the harddisk and it was fine) as it's indicator light is not turning on. I removed everything and reseated everything to no avail. I even tried using another monitor but no, it is not the monitor.

The green LED of the Power button is turning on but there is no display in the monitor, no post. I am out of ideas on how to solve this. Anyone who have some hints I could try? Even clicking the Assist button does not display anything on the monitor.

Thank you so much in advance!

Try the following and see if it will turn on.

1. First make sure the device has been charged.
2. Unplug your charger cord.
3. Remove the battery.
4. Press and hold the "Power" button for 30 seconds and see if the device will turn on.
5. If it does, great, now plug back in the power/charger cord. (If it didn't turn on without the cord in, it should turn on once you it is in. Yes sometimes they will turn on, or try to turn on, even with nothing attached/plugged in.)
6. Now put the battery back in.

RodelioR

Commendable
Sep 29, 2016

RodelioR

Commendable
Sep 29, 2016
Thank you so much for your prompt response. I have already tried that method, clicking the power button for about a minute to discharge any static electricity and returning the battery but to no avail. The laptop turns-on but there it does not POST, there is nothing on the monitor. I've tried cleaning and reseating the RAM, I even tried just using each RAM at a time as I have two but still it does not work, nothing appears on the monitor.

So it is turning on but nothing is showing on the display? Or is it turning on at all (the laptop not the display) any hard drive sounds etc? If you are getting any sounds/signs of life, just no display (even on the external monitor as you mentioned) then it may well be the graphics card.

RodelioR

Commendable
Sep 29, 2016

RodelioR

Commendable
Sep 29, 2016
It is turning on as indicated by the light in the LED and its fan is working but it does not appear to be POSTing. The light indicator for the HD is not turning on but the HD is working fine.Google seems to be telling that it might be the BIOS but how can I be sure?

I would check the display as the issue first. Try turning off the laptop, connect an external monitor, turn on the external monitor and then turn on the laptop.

If you can see on the external monitor, then you need to check the attached display. Make sure the ribbon cable that connects it isn't bent, damaged, pinched, loose, etc. If not, then you may well need to replace the display.

Now if you can't see on the external monitor either, then it is probably the graphics card.

However, before replacing parts/hardware, I would 1. Make sure it isn't still under warranty. If it is, then you should contact the manufacturer about fixing or replacing it. 2. Check the BIOS as you found in your search.

RodelioR

Commendable
Sep 29, 2016

RodelioR

Commendable
Sep 29, 2016
I've already tried connecting an external monitor and still no display. It is not under warranty anymore. How could I replace/reset/flash its BIOS? Found an update for the BIOS in the Sony Vaio website but I don't know how to install it if I can't boot the laptop.

Here are a couple of ways you can reset the BIOS.

1. Resetting through CLEAR CMOS Motherboard Jumper

Many motherboards contain a 'jumper' that you can use to clear CMOS settings, if your BIOS is not accessible.

The exact location of the jumper can be found in the motherboard’s (or computer’s) manual. You should check your manual for instructions if you want to use the motherboard jumper.

However, that said, how to do this is quite similar on all computers.

First make sure you have turned the computer's power switch to off, this is to make sure that it is not getting any power at all. Then open the case and locate the jumper. It will be named something like CLEAR CMOS, CLR CMOS, CLEAR, etc., and it will often be near the CMOS battery.

Please be sure you are grounded before you touch the motherboard so you don't damage the motherboard with any static electricity. You will then set the jumper to the "Clear" position. Next you will turn on the computer and then turn it off again. Now set the jumper back to its original position and you should be done.

2. Reseat the CMOS Battery

If by some chance your motherboard doesn't have a "CLEAR CMOS" jumper, you can try to clear its CMOS settings by removing the CMOS battery, and then replacing it.

The CMOS battery provides the power used to save the BIOS settings. This is how your computer knows how much time has passed even when it’s been turned off for a long time. Removing the battery will remove the source of power and clear the settings.

NOTE: Not all motherboards have removable CMOS batteries. If the battery won’t come loose, do not try to force it. You could end up having to replace the motherboard if you do.

As with the jumper change, make sure the computer is completely off and had no connected power. Also make sure you are grounded before you touch the motherboard. Now you want to find the round, flat, silver colored battery on the motherboard. Very carefully remove it. Wait five minutes (or more, but not less) before reseating the battery.

RodelioR

Commendable
Sep 29, 2016
There is no jumper in the motherboard of this laptop. All it has is the CMOS battery similarly like the one attached, I've already tried removing it for a few minutes and re-inserting it to no avail. Looks like the GPU needs reflowing?
nnErb

http://imgur.com/a/nnErb