Sony: Vita Will Pull Gamers From Tablets, Phones (Specs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
and before someone lashes out, the psvita does have a smaller resolution, but it's still really close to the native resolution of many ps3 games. i hope it's easy to develop for, more quality games this way

G

Between handheld consoles and tablets as a gaming device. I prefer handheld consoles. THen show some propaganda towards PC gaming. Muaaahahaa :D

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
So it has twice the video power of an ipad2, but 1/4 the ram. Not really impressive enough considering theTegra 3 will have twice the gpu muscle and the same cpu. What Sony needs to do is develop a dual boot type OS for arm that can be installed on next gen cell phones and tablets, then they can go back to selling their games for $30 and not have to worry about selling the console at a loss. Bam! you instantly have a market thats 200 million+ android users strong

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]applegetsmelaid[/nom]Popping bubbles on a tablet screen does not qualify as a gamer in my book.... no gamers to pull from the tablet market.[/citation]

Before Sony released their PlayStation phone, you could actually play PlayStation games on android devices. While using the on screen controls sucked. Syncing a Wi controller made the gaming quite enjoyable. See my above comment, maybe bundle a controller with it.

G

they could of lest add 1 gb of ram considering maybe people want to run multipl apps and allow for switching over simlar to the alt tab in windows

G

BAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY LLLLLLLLLLLLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

G

What 'serious gamer' plays on a 5 inch screen? Sony needs to abandon this model. Is it even profitable? They should instead refocus on PS4.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
I'll start by saying I don't care for Sony. I just want that to be clear. But at the very least this is an impressive piece of Hardware, even if it might fail to win over gamers.[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]So it has twice the video power of an ipad2, but 1/4 the ram.[/citation]We don't know clock speeds, so we can't say that for certain. But it does have the same type of CPU and twice as many cores, and the same GPU again with twice as many cores. So you could guesstimate that it has at least double the CPU *AND* GPU power - and that assumes it isn't operating at higher clockspeeds. Might be even more.

As for memory, you misread the article. It has the same amount (512MB) of system memory, and it is probably faster DDR3 instead of the iPad 2's 1066 DDR2. I'd guess 1333 at least. It ALSO has an ADDITIONAL 128MB of dedicated video memory. This memory is very likely clocked even higher than main memory, and/or has a wider bus. It could even be using GDDR5 like modern mobile graphics. Regardless it will have a lot more bandwidth than main memory.[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]Not really impressive enough considering the Tegra 3 will have twice the gpu muscle and the same cpu.[/citation]We'll see. I've seen benchmarks showing a fast clocked single core SGX540 beating a Tegra 2. An SGX540 - old tech. This is a SGX543MP4+, I'm certain you know that's 4 cores at an unknown clockspeed, with 128MB of dedicated (and probably very fast) memory. I wouldn't count it out just yet.

Last I heard Tegra 3 was on the 40nm node, and was "5 times faster" than Tegra 2. That would probably put it on par with Sony's solution. More importantly, even if Tegra 3 is faster, maybe it was too far on the horizon. Sony couldn't wait any longer, from their point of view they had to stop waiting and start designing, refining, and building hardware.

dormantreign

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
They need to release this beast with a hole for hackers. Even if they do it on the sly....the Jailbreaking term came from iThis and iThat made everyone under the sun want to do it. If you can hack this beast i'm def in on board for a purchase. SNES portable for the win!

CFW on the psp does allow SNES, but the 32Mb games lag bad, and need frameskip to keep it at a playable framerate. This beast would not need that. And the homebrew....give me give me :)

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Gamers will carry a second device around if the games prove enjoyable and they have the spare time. If all I need is something for a 10 minute break, no need for a dedicated device. If I have an hour long bus ride, I'm willing to play an actual game in that time. Games made for handhelds also tend to have better gameplay than consoles since they can't be as dependent on graphics to carry the product. Koller got it correct. People who want to play a real game aren't doing it on smartphones. The games on cell phones are the equivalent of sidegames in the larger titles produced for dedicated systems. Nothing but time wasters on a smoke break.

As far as the lack of RAM, that's true for any gaming dedicated hardware versus a smartphone/PC. Understand that those devices have OSes that run lots of processes at once, which is why they eat up so much memory. Even before running a game, your system memory is being used on a PC. Console OSes tend to be made just to perform one task at once. You can't window out of your game and surf the net while your antivirus is actively scanning. They focus only on running the game. Because of that, they use less memory to begin with, Consoles and computers have very different needs when it comes to hardware so comparing them directly is pointless. I'm sure they put enough memory in to keep everything running smoothly, when's the last time you were playing a console game and got an "out of memory" error?

"Honestly, what hardcore gamer wants to carry around a smartphone, a bulky PlayStation Vita and possibly even a tablet?"
-BTW who carries both a smartphone and tablet around? A tablet is just a smartphone with a larger screen, now that's carrying too many gadgets.

Status
Not open for further replies.