Solved! Sony x850 and Onkyo nr575

Jan 3, 2019
Hi all,

I recently picked up an Onkyo NR575 receiver and I'm looking to connect my Sony x850 tv audio to it via optical cable. I use an HD antenna so want to coax coming in to the tv but the audio go through the Onkyo. I have the optical cable connected but don't know why it's not getting the sound. I have selected sound through speakers on the Sony but still nothing. Can anyone help?
Thanks in advance

Solution
If the tv is outputting the sound signal through the optical cable .... the tip of the optical cable (the end you want to hook into the Onkyo) should be flashing red when the tv is playing ... is it doing this? Personally I don't like to look at it directly - just hold the tip up very close to a piece of white cardboard. Oh ... and sometimes those tips are covered with a rubber sheathing (they have to removed).

The other thing that occurs to me is that the 'optical in' port on the Onkyo may share an 'hdmi input port' and/or a 'coax input port' for that input selection. It's possible that you have to tell the Onkyo to use the 'optical input' for that input selection rather than hdmi or coax. Does that make sense?

robert600

Distinguished
If the tv is outputting the sound signal through the optical cable .... the tip of the optical cable (the end you want to hook into the Onkyo) should be flashing red when the tv is playing ... is it doing this? Personally I don't like to look at it directly - just hold the tip up very close to a piece of white cardboard. Oh ... and sometimes those tips are covered with a rubber sheathing (they have to removed).

The other thing that occurs to me is that the 'optical in' port on the Onkyo may share an 'hdmi input port' and/or a 'coax input port' for that input selection. It's possible that you have to tell the Onkyo to use the 'optical input' for that input selection rather than hdmi or coax. Does that make sense?

Solution