SOPA Doesn't Censor Internet, Says Rep. Lamar Smith

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

backbydemand

Distinguished
May 26, 2008
Illegal piracy and counterfeiting cost the U.S. economy $100 billion
Assuming that figure is accurate, if piracy was 100% stopped tomorrow, there isn't $100 billion in spare cash for people to buy legitimately.

People pirate because the cost of paying for it is too much and if they can't illegally download it they will just not have it.

yannigr

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008
Every time a politician wants to lie he/she talks about the people, the country and the bad guys who want to harm the people and the country. This is common in most politicians in all the countries.

shat

Distinguished
May 28, 2011
I'm against this but can understand why a lot companies are for this. a lot it has to with copyright and intellectual property. How would you like to spend millions of dollars and have a business just for Joe blow to steal it.

svdb

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
[citation][nom]shat[/nom]I'm against this but can understand why a lot companies are for this. a lot it has to with copyright and intellectual property. How would you like to spend millions of dollars and have a business just for Joe blow to steal it.[/citation]
Nope, this is about a handful of people trying to get the legal means to have any website that they don't like shut down.
Lets say I don't like your news site because you're accusing me of corruption, I could have an "agent" plant illegal content on your news website and have you then shut down.
See where this is going?

nurgletheunclean

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
[citation][nom]Koga73[/nom]it effectively creates an internet blacklist... how is that not censorship?people will just use outside DNS and Proxies to get around the blocks anyways so whats the point? Will I get thrown in jail for using a proxy to access a blacklisted site?![/citation]
The problem goes beyond simply blocking the DNS name, they could demand the actual IPs get blocked, by ISPs/Backbone providers. Using an international proxy would not only be very inconvenient but it would probably be extremely slow. For that matter those proxies could get blocked under the same laws.

mavikt

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
"SOPA doesn't censor internet" just like "Guns don't kill people".
If only there were a politician that could think one step ahead...

What a moron!

shat

Distinguished
May 28, 2011
guns don't kill people. people do. did stalin, mao, hitler, etc. shoot every single person with a gun.

zulutech

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011
Guns enable people to kill others. Politics enable people to be greedy, you know, 'poly' is the root of many words, like politics. 'Poly' meaning many, and 'tics' meaning blood sucking parasites.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Leave the damn internet alone, you morons! Pirates WILL find ways to get around this, and the thing is, plenty of people who pirate wouldn't have bought the content in the first place, in which case is it really a lost sale?

invisik

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2008
"piracy and counterfeiting cost the U.S. economy $100 billion". So what was the point going in the middle east and invading countries when our citizens back home are unemployed and lack medical insurance? If money is that important why not stop getting into every affair that goes on in this world. Piracy should be the last thing to fix. We have much bigger issues. All the scumbags want are fat checks from Hollywood simply put.

poxenium

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2009
"Illegal piracy and counterfeiting cost the U.S. economy $100 billion and thousands of jobs every year."
Now we know who's responsible for the struggling economy - PIRATES! And not US resident pirates, but just foreign ones.
I'm sure the USA has NEVER copied any foreign technology and NEVER made billions with it.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]shat[/nom]guns don't kill people. people do. did stalin, mao, hitler, etc. shoot every single person with a gun.[/citation]
I think that was the point :p the law itself won't censor the internet, but the people who will use it will end up censoring the internet, just like a gun won't kill anyone but the person who uses it will.

cchambers

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Lamar Smith (R-Texas) is now on Anonymous' s_ _t list. Lamar doesn't understand that just by opening a door to the potential of censorship paves the way for it to become reality. Don't give the government ANY leverage! Say NO to SOPA and PIPA!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS