SOPA Shelved After White House Petition Response

Status
Not open for further replies.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Sounds reasonable, however there is a long history of people getting the backdoor shaft from politicians. They are just waiting for a little better political climate to push this, but they will not let off of it.
If anyone here trusts what the politicians say, please thumb me down.

obiown77

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
These are just Obama political tactics..... but I think more people will see through it this year, but enough people? who knows.......

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
You know the Patriot Act was introduced under a different name in the 90s. It was shot down. In 2001 they changed the name of it to Patriot Act and everyone voted for it. SOPA will be the same way. It will be adopted by the USA eventually. It will be called something else, but it will be the same thing. The US hates liberty, but loves lawyers, laws and cops.

digitalzom-b

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
[citation][nom]obiown77[/nom]These are just Obama political tactics..... but I think more people will see through it this year, but enough people? who knows.......[/citation]

But if a republican did it, then it would be a step in the right direction, a just cause, and the right move... not just "political tactics."

koga73

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2008
Nobody likes Obama. While he appears to be siding with the internet users on this its just for votes. Soon the legislation will be rewritten with generalized shady language allowing for the government to take advantage of the loopholes and work the internet blacklist back in. Theres really no way to completely block content on the internet so intellectual property owners just need to accept that their work is always going to be stolen or pirated one way or another.

xx_pemdas_xx

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
[citation][nom]digitalzom-b[/nom]But if a republican did it, then it would be a step in the right direction, a just cause, and the right move... not just "political tactics."[/citation]

A republican would not even have to think about it. It would be no surprise. Because Political candidates should follow what they tell people they believe, not lie. I few months ago Obama was anti- Piracy, (against anonymous). Now hes pro Pirating because he thinks it will get him more votes. He will pull that black card if he has too.

blubbey

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
"New legislation must be narrowly targeted only at sites beyond the reach of current U.S. law"

Does this mean they're trying to make laws that govern sites other than those in the U.S. or am I mis-interpreting that?

digitalzom-b

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
[citation][nom]xx_PEMDAS_Xx[/nom]A republican would not even have to think about it. It would be no surprise. Because Political candidates should follow what they tell people they believe, not lie. I few months ago Obama was anti- Piracy, (against anonymous). Now hes pro Pirating because he thinks it will get him more votes. He will pull that black card if he has too.[/citation]

You realize this is how ALL politics work right? Been in America long?

digitalzom-b

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
[citation][nom]xx_PEMDAS_Xx[/nom]A republican would not even have to think about it. It would be no surprise. Because Political candidates should follow what they tell people they believe, not lie. I few months ago Obama was anti- Piracy, (against anonymous). Now hes pro Pirating because he thinks it will get him more votes. He will pull that black card if he has too.[/citation]

Also, he's not pro-pirating now, quit making shit up to make your argument stronger:

"While we believe that online piracy by foreign websites is a serious problem that requires a serious legislative response, we will not support legislation that reduces freedom of expression, increases cybersecurity risk, or undermines the dynamic, innovative global Internet," the Obama Administration said in a public statement."

jahmekan

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
xx_PEMDAS_Xx :
A republican would not even have to think about it. It would be no surprise. Because Political candidates should follow what they tell people they believe, not lie. I few months ago Obama was anti- Piracy, (against anonymous). Now hes pro Pirating because he thinks it will get him more votes. He will pull that black card if he has too.

I think people should look up who is running point on this piece of crap and then come back here and post. One is from the great state of TX.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]xx_PEMDAS_Xx[/nom]... Now hes pro Pirating because he thinks it will get him more votes. He will pull that black card if he has too.[/citation]
Personally, I do not think that any reasonable person would think that this is what this ruling is saying.

SOPA / Protect IP had some serious issues. Like the clause that anyone could get a site to take down material. Seems to me the constitution guarantees a right to a fair trial; It would seem to me that giving anyone the power to take down a site just by complaining that the site has copyrighted material violates that right to a fair trail. Nevermind the technical flaws the law had - like redirecting to a foreign DNS which is a completely trivial matter - my bet is that IF SOPA / Protect IP had survived and retained the part that gives anyone the right to take down a site would easily be ruled unconstitutional. Laws enacted by congress are not necessarily constitutional.

I think there is also indications that the WH would like something like this, however, without the clauses that would allow the internet to be dismantled by any disgruntled entity. You can bet that there would be some "disgruntled nut" who would complain about sites with no other reason other than to wreak havoc. That is where this law had the potential to be a complete failure and be abused.

Perhaps instead they will make it illegal to download copyrighted material, and empower the NSA to track complaints of such sites and the traffic from them to US citizens so that any US citizen illegally downloading copyrighted material can be caught and sent to prison for the rest of their lives like the denizens of the entertainment industry would like.

danraies

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
"Now hes pro Pirating because he thinks it will get him more votes."

Are you an idiot? This is the problem - people think that anti-SOPA/PIPA equals pro-pirating when it doesn't. Show me a bill that protects copyrights without infringing on basic civil liberties and I'll support it. The legislation in their current forms do not stop piracy in any way (they don't even slow it down) but they do manage to violate several civil liberties, the most obvious of which is due process.

Status
Not open for further replies.