Sound Working, but Not Playing

garrzilla

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013
So my PC is acting strange. My audio is working, I can see the volume bar move when playing music, but no sound comes out of back or front port. I am using on-board audio, and I have tested multiple headphones on the ports. I tried uninstalling and installing the up-to-date drivers, no luck.

Solution
Your 2 bottom slots from that page are PCI and the card is also PCI so you should be able to use that card.

You may want to disable the onboard audio in the bios as well when you start to use the new card.

nukemaster

Distinguished
Please check your Sound(you can start search this or control panel - > Hardware and Sound - > Sound - > Playback[ tab ] ) settings to ensure something else is not the default audio device. This can happen when you have an HDMI monitor or TV become the default..

garrzilla

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013

No, because its on-board and I don't have time to take out the motherboard

Here ya go: http://gyazo.com/bc9d09be415d5fec45d92127269133a5

nukemaster

Distinguished
Can you check the Realtek HD Audio Manager to see what it detects as being connected.

Only thing aside of a defect I can think of would be if it for some reason thinks something is connected at the front(HD audio connector to board may have an issue ) and is muting all the other plugs.

It should show you exactly what it detects.

garrzilla

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013

Pic 1
Pic 2

nukemaster

Distinguished
And this is with a single set of speakers plugged into the front?

When you move it to the back does it detect as well.

I have not seen it show black in the front like that, so I am guessing this is a prebuilt system maybe? Are you on the board/system makers drivers or from the Realtek site. I only ask this because sometimes the realtek drivers do not work right and others they are fine.

I actually have much older drivers on one system because features had been removed on newer drivers.

Overall everything seems as it should be working.

garrzilla

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013

Yes it detects it on the back, no sound. Its a xw6600 workstation, and I am using drivers from HP.

garrzilla

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013

Would you recommend buying a new sound card then?

nukemaster

Distinguished
To rule out software, It may be worth running a live cd/usb copy of linux. Almost all versions of linux will support your sound card and if it works in linux, you have a software issue, if it is detected and does the same thing, chances are it is a hardware issue.

Live versions of linux just run from a CD or flash drive and do NOT modify the system unless you install them.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD

ttimberlak443

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014
It sounds like a hardware issue to me, but it could definitely still be a software bug. You could pick up an ASUS Xonar DG (PCI) or an ASUS Xonar DGX (PCIe) for around $30 and just forget about this. They are the same card, just different interfaces.

You could always try contacting HP, but I don't think they will have you do anything that you haven't already done. Loading a new OS to check if the problem is Windows is a good idea, but a good deal of extra work.

garrzilla

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013

OK, so my motherboard is a HP xw6600. It has 2 empty ports at the bottom: PCI 32/33
So I was thinking about getting an ASUS XONAR DG. Will this work with one of the two bottom ports?

nukemaster

Distinguished
Your 2 bottom slots from that page are PCI and the card is also PCI so you should be able to use that card.

You may want to disable the onboard audio in the bios as well when you start to use the new card.

Solution