Solved! Speaker system emitting high pitched siren noise

ghavern

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
3 times over the past month, while watching TV the speakers on my home theater system started to emit a crackling/popping noise for about 3- 5 secs then switched to a high pitched siren noise...i try to turn the power off on the system but to no avail..i have to pull the power cord or switch the surge strip off...after about 2 - 3 mins. i power everything back up and all works fine...i can even turn the power off on the system...this happened twice about 3 weeks ago...then again today...any ideas...the system is a Yamaha HTR-6230 receiver sound system almost 2 years old...

Solution
switch speakers around to see if it the receiver or speakers,, if it is the receiver, the same output will still make noise, if it is the speaker, it will be the same speaker,,, if it is under warranty, it may be best/easiest to send whole thing in if it is a home theater in a box,, if it is seperate components, you have to see if you can get them repaired/replaced --- if it is just your receiver and you are sure your speakers are good, you can buy a new receiver,, if it is your speakers, it may be cheaper to just get a whole new system.

ghavern

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
Yes, twice with regular TV and once watching recorded program on the DVR...
Did you have to replace your entire home theater/sound system (receiver, speakers, woofer)? Or could it be repaired?
does anyone know if this may cause damage to other electronics (TV, blu-ray, DVR)...

monkeysweat

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
switch speakers around to see if it the receiver or speakers,, if it is the receiver, the same output will still make noise, if it is the speaker, it will be the same speaker,,, if it is under warranty, it may be best/easiest to send whole thing in if it is a home theater in a box,, if it is seperate components, you have to see if you can get them repaired/replaced --- if it is just your receiver and you are sure your speakers are good, you can buy a new receiver,, if it is your speakers, it may be cheaper to just get a whole new system.

Solution

ghavern

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
when the noise happened again, i disconnected each speaker, one and two at a time (pulled the wires on the back of each speaker) noise still persisted on the speakers that were connected...it appears it is the receiver...thanks for your help/suggestions...