speakers with 2 separate ports for speaker wire

CCockrell

Estimable
Mar 16, 2015
So I am at a crossroads in my upgrading my sound system at home. I currently have a 7.1 surround sound in my den at home, and all of the left's and right's are all mounted on the wall and have the speaker wire run through the attic.

I am looking at going with floorstanding speakers from Klipsch, maybe the RF-62 II, and i see that they have spots for two separate speaker wires to be plugged in.

Can anyone here give me some info on the benefits to having that set up would be, as running more wire would probably be a deal breaker while i am living in this current house. Could i just splice the wires that i have currently running now? or would it be better to connect the ends of the 14-2's i am running to the ends of a 14-4.

I feel like if there are two separate wires at the starting point of the receiver, it wouldnt be putting out any more power than just splicing the wire down the line like i said with the 14-2 to 14-4

Solution
The two sets of terminals are usually for the low frequency drivers and the high frequency drivers. If you have multiple amps you would bi-wire. Some people bi-wire to lower the total resistance between a single amp and the speakers. The speakers will come with a jumper between the two sets of terminals. You can run one set of speaker wire without degradation in 99.99% of the installations. If you have thousands of $$ in amps and an external crossover and a bunch of other audio geek stuff then bi-wire might be worth while. For normal setup no.

kanewolf

Judicious
The two sets of terminals are usually for the low frequency drivers and the high frequency drivers. If you have multiple amps you would bi-wire. Some people bi-wire to lower the total resistance between a single amp and the speakers. The speakers will come with a jumper between the two sets of terminals. You can run one set of speaker wire without degradation in 99.99% of the installations. If you have thousands of $$ in amps and an external crossover and a bunch of other audio geek stuff then bi-wire might be worth while. For normal setup no.

Solution

CCockrell

Estimable
Mar 16, 2015

Glad to hear it. i didnt mind splicing, but if the answer was that i needed to run more wire through my home from my receiver i would have gone another direction or scratched the idea altogether until i moved and could start from scratch in my next home.

Thanks! so basically i can just run what i have to one spot on the speaker, and it will make the rest happen from my current set up.

kanewolf

Judicious

Yep. I have dual terminal Paradigm speakers. One set of wires is all I run.