Sprint Has Disabled Carrier IQ on Handsets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
Very nice. I wonder if Sprint is doing this as the underdog, plus I hope that the Sprint-owned carriers do this as well.

Regardless of this, I hope other carriers will follow suit.

Azimuth01

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2009
This is the kind of PR stunt I can agree with...good job sprint...wow...did I just say that???

..now where's the 4G service you promised me 2 years ago

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Sounds like damage control to me. Trying to avoid some class-action suit.
Truth is, nobody will be able to tell what data have CIQ/carriers collected over time and what was it used for. CIQ claims they never got any of that, it's all carrier's. Carriers say they never got any identifiable data from the infected phones (yes, infected).
Does anyone trust any of these thugs?
Didn't think so.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Oh, darn..... I was hoping to cash in my frivolous lawsuit token tomorrow too............
Oh well... I'll find something else, hey does anyone know any companies that don't put "caution hot" on their coffee cups? I need a couple million to feed the coffers and my new Radeon HD 7k rig too =D

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
They may have disabled it, but the hidden software is still in the phone. How can we get rid of this application? What Sprint claims about their use of Carrier IQ is of course something to be determined by independent sources and not by Sprint or any phone service provider.

G

"We've actually replaced it with far more draconian software known only as 'Big Brother''(another fine product by Carrier IQ Inc.), since Carrier IQ has developed such a bad reputation with consumers"

-Sprint

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
[citation][nom]SoiledBottom[/nom]After reading all there customers personal texts, Sprint has come to the conclusion that there customers don't want to be spied on.[/citation]
Probably at the bottom of all texts or email, this was attached 'sprint i will sue you if you can read this' or something like that.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]del35[/nom]They may have disabled it, but the hidden software is still in the phone. How can we get rid of this application? What Sprint claims about their use of Carrier IQ is of course something to be determined by independent sources and not by Sprint or any phone service provider.[/citation]
There are 2 ways to get rid of it: wait for an official OTA update from Sprint that does not contain this rootkit, or root your phone and install a clean ROM yourself. The article implies that there is an official update in the works.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
"To be clear, Sprint has not used Carrier IQ diagnostics to profile customers, to serve targeted advertising, or for any purpose not specifically related to certifying that a device is able to operate on our network," the company added in a statement following the letter. "Sprint does not look at the content of customer messages, emails, photos, videos, keystrokes, etc. using the diagnostic tools offered by Carrier IQ."

"We would never be so foolish! We outsource those activities to a third party, of course, who then sells the resulting information to the highest bidder. We accept a 10% commission from these third parties in return."

There. I finished that quote for Sprint.

Status
Not open for further replies.