ssd to hdd

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Chicano

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
Whatever USB adapter or enclosure you use will not make the OS Boot... Windows is not designed to boot from USB... if it did everyone coud pirate Windows OSs without any restrictions.

USAFRet

Illustrious
OK...

To recap:
You have a regular Sandisk SSD.
You have a Toshiba dock or enclosure, that the Sandisk is in.
You wish to run the OS from the Sandisk, when it is installed internally in the laptop.

All correct so far?

The current drive seems to somehow be a Dynamic disk?
But the system runs from that?
Weird.

Is all the above correct?

Blake_40

Prominent
Feb 18, 2017

so i downloaded that program and it would work but it wants me to pay 259 dollars to upgrade so that i can change a disk to basic. i dont have that type of cash just laying around for a one time use thing.

Chicano

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011

Sorry about that... I just copied and pasted without checking free or shareware. There are plenty of free programs of the type and do it safely without data loss.

This partition manager has the option to change dynamic to basic partitions.
https://www.partitionwizard.com/help/convert-dynamic-disk-to-basic-disk.html

BTW: You downloaded the pay version of the EASEUS Partition Master.. they have a free version as well.

Blake_40

Prominent
Feb 18, 2017

OK so i had another question. would wiping my HDD and then changing the drive back to basic work? and if it does work then will i be able to put the files i have backed up back on the hard drive?

USAFRet

Illustrious

Yes.
Delete ALL volumes on that drive.
New Simple Volume
Format
Give it a drive letter
Use as desired.

Blake_40

Prominent
Feb 18, 2017

ok cool. then how do i put the operating system back on to that hard drive?

USAFRet

Illustrious

The HDD does not need an OS on it.

You're installing the OS on the SSD, correct?
The hDD will just be a second drive, with a different drive letter.

Blake_40

Prominent
Feb 18, 2017

well im trying to clone whats on the hdd on to the ssd is my goal. so if i delete the hdd then i need the files back on that to clone it right?

Blake_40

Prominent
Feb 18, 2017

yes. i have backed up the hdd to a seperate hdd and was going to delete the hdd i am operating from and then change it to a basic disk. but i am trying to see if that is possible without putting it into a desktop to change it. i only have one os hard drive and its the one i need cloned. so if i cant do this then im just gonna say screw it and buy windows boot disk and start from scratch.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Mostly irrelevant, but backed up how?

Macrium apparently won't clone from a Dynamic disk.
You need to change that somehow.

Or just start over with a clean install.

Blake_40

Prominent
Feb 18, 2017

i just did a file backup on to one of my external hard drives.

USAFRet

Illustrious

A "file backup" will not gain you anything you can boot from.

Blake_40

Prominent
Feb 18, 2017

so backing up my hdd and the file containing the os isnt gonna work then?

Chicano

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
I need to make on observation: Unless I missed something, from the Macrim image Bake posted, the Dynamic disk seems to be the SSD only (3 NTFS Dynamic partitions)... The HDD is one unallocated partition and a second NFTS primary partition with Windows on... So as far as I can tell, the HDD doesn't have to go through any format for now.

It's a simple formatting the SSD through USB with NTFS Primary partition, and cloning directly from the HDD to it.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Disk 1, Dynamic, is a 250GB
Disk 2, GPT, is a 120GB.

Where is the OS?
Disconnect one or the other...what happens?
What was there originally?

TRENDING THREADS