Sergio0522

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013
Hello i'm looking into buying a good starter DSLR camera, would like it to have a touch screen LCD.

My price range is around $300-$500. Can anyone recommend anything good? Ive checked online and they're literally tons and tons of different answers... kinda overwhelming~

Solution

Buying the camera with JUST the kit lens is generally the best value. The best lens is rather expensive (the 16-80) a very good value and a very popular lens is the 18-140vr. Later after you start to figure out exposure, composition, control of light, then consider adding more.

ronintexas

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012
Personally - I would spend a few hundred bucks more and get a good kit like this one: http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-rebel-t6-ef-S-18-55mm-ef-75-300mm-double-zoom-kit

It gives you two lenses - a normal lens (18-55mm) and a zoom lens (75-300mm) to start, plus the bag and camera body. I have purchased several cameras - and the thing I find, if you buy the lowest priced camera, you will wish you spent a few extra bucks and purchased a little better camera.

Most of the cameras that are great to learn and start out with are going to be $500 - $750 for a great camera - and they are expandable with a multitude of accessories. The Canon EOS is a great place to start.

Sergio0522

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013

How does this look to you?
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-EOS-Rebel-T5-Accessory/dp/B00J34YO92?ie=UTF8&keywords=DSLR&qid=1460386628&ref_=sr_1_1&refinements=p_72%3A1248879011%2Cp_36%3A40000-70000&s=photo&sr=1-1

hardwarrior

Commendable
Apr 11, 2016
Hi, I started with the Canon 550D and was really satisfied with the results. The pictures were pretty good and with a suitable lense even magnificent. Nowadays you can get the camera with the standard zoom lense 18-55mm for around 300-500.

bjornl

Estimable

The thing is at that price point it won't make much difference. They are all pretty good.
I like to shoot in more demanding conditions (low light, for example) and so I prefer Nikon, Sony or Pentax as a result. Between those three Nikon has more lenses that suit my needs. But for a beginner it will not matter.

What do your friends or family use? Do they have lenses you could borrow? Might be as good a way as any to pick the brand.

If you are not from the USA or one of the larger European countries or Japan brands other than Nikon or Canon can be hard to get stuff for. The big two sell just under 80% of all inter-changeable lens cameras.

There is a big debate in camera nerd circles about DSLR vs mirrorless. They are around equally capable but they have different viewfinders. DSLRs have optical ones. While mirrorless have little TV screens. I own both and highly favor the optical viewfinders, particularly the type found in higer end cameras. Your opinion might not match mine, so you should probably check it out for yourself.

Something to add to your list to consider.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00AXTQRSC/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used
A Nikon d5200 with a very good 18-105 lens.

bicycle_repair_man

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014

That's spot on.

OP, the best thing to do is ignore what most people tell you and instead go out and try a few (rent them if you can). How a camera feels is far more important than its specification.

When you buy a camera you're also buying into a system of lenses, flashguns and accessories, so bear that in mind. Switching from one brand to another isn't easy, or cheap.

Sergio0522

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013

Well I live in Miami, Florida so I'm going to be taking pictures in very bright locations. Nobody I know owns a DSLR camera and it's something I've always wanted

bjornl

Estimable

In very bright conditions, this is less of an issue. Night life, clubs, indoors (even in reasonably good light) are all

How sensitive are you to size? Have you considered how many lenses you would be willing to lug about? For me, I tend to not mind carrying 3 lenses. I tend to change which 3 lenses I bring. Low light, long lenses (wildlife), wide angle (landscapes), macro, and so on. No one in their right mind buys it all at once. I rarely buy more than 1 lens per year.

When I started, I got a Canon 600D, with the lens 18-135 that was standard when buying that camera a while ago. I later purchased the 50mm "nifty fifty", and I barely even touch the zoom lens, I'm in love with prime. There's a new 50mm lens now, that's got a better focus ring, and it's quietr.

Sergio0522

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013

Im an average size, I forsure want a fish eye lenses and something for wildlife and landscape. I know a couple building i can get ontop of and i can snap a couple pictures of the downtown.

Probably wont be going to a club or anything with it

This would be my recommendation - The Nikon D3200 kit with two lenses.

bjornl

Estimable

There are a ton of good wide angles available for Nikon and Canon. And and some available for every other mount too (just not as many).
To follow up on the camera I mentioned above (and you can adapt it to different models, if you decide to go that way).
The Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 is the lowest cost wide angle which is good. There are others which are better (like the Tokina 11-20 or 11-16) but they cost alot more). The Above named lens can typically be purchased for less than 300 used. Amazon, B&H, adorama and KEH are reputable places to buy. Craigslist is an option, but make sure the added risk is reflected in the price since you can't return those.
For a long (telephoto lens). The cheapest Nikon which is good is the Nikon 55-300mm. New this is around 400, used around 200. The Tamron 150-600mm is alot more fun but much more expensive. It is around 1000 new and around 7-800 used. Not much discount because there aren't many being resold. This lens is long enough that good technique becomes fairly important to get good results.
I suggest you start with the body and a single lens, the lens it came with. Learn that lens and the basics of exposure before you bother complicating your life with multiple lenses.

Sergio0522

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013
So I have decided to buy the Nikon D5500, now searching the internet ive seen that i can buy either the body or the body with a lenses.

Which is better bang for buck? body alone then try and find a cheap good lenses or buy buy the whole thing?

bjornl

Estimable

Buying the camera with JUST the kit lens is generally the best value. The best lens is rather expensive (the 16-80) a very good value and a very popular lens is the 18-140vr. Later after you start to figure out exposure, composition, control of light, then consider adding more.

Solution

Good recommendation! Get the kit and then later on add lenses as you understand more about lenses and more about your needs.