Starting with web programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

razerg

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013
Hi, I want to start with programming and was thinking of HTML as the simplest one (is it?). I found this website where it is explained in chapters about different things. http://www.w3schools.com/html/default.asp

So I have questions, how is CSS connected to HTML and what is a good html program for ubuntu (such as Notepad++ on Windows)

Solution
Not off the top of my head. Try the Make a Website and Make an Interactive Website courses, although you should do the latter after completing the JavaScript course first.

skittle

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
CSS is sort of an addition to HTML and allows for easy defining of characteristics.
There are many text editors for linux and many people are very religious about them. Two of the main ones you hear about are Emacs and VI. There is also many more; too many to list. The closest to notepad++ out of the box is sublime text editor.

razerg

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013
Thanks for the reply. So CSS is used mostly nowadays? Or it can be replaced with something else, for example will these two codes be any different and displayed the same in all cases:

CSS:
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<p style="font-family: arial;">Jack of hearts.</p>
</html>

CSS:
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<p><font face="arial">Jack of hearts.</font></p>
</html>

Of course the first one seems simpler but does it make a difference?
Also I heard of Gedit on Linux. And roughly how many tags are there in HTML? Are those all tags there is on this webpage on the left side http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_wbr.asp ?

skittle

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
Gedit is the editor that comes with GNOME. Its pretty good once you get the plugins and environment setup for your looking. There is also Geany, Kate, SciTE and many others.

HTML5 and CSS3 are what you should be trying to learn. Think of HTML5 providing a overall layout and CSS providing styling to the layout, ie colors, shadows, border sizes, etc. They are used in conjunction!

randomizer

Distinguished
HTML describes the semantic structure of your page and all of its content. CSS describes the visual presentation of the page. In the past the distinction was more blurred (eg. the font element describes presentation) but HTML5 deprecated many of parts of the standard that should be handled by CSS and added new ones that provide more semantic information (eg. article and nav elements that can replace generic div elements). It should be noted that for all intents and purposes neither of these are programming languages. If you want behaviour then you need JavaScript as well.

CodeAcademy has tutorials/courses for all three of the above as well as more advanced web development. The Mozilla Developer Network should be your bookmark for reference material (not tutorials) once you've got the hang of things. Don't bother with W3Schools for anything. It has been superseded by better resources.

randomizer

Distinguished
Behaviour is what the page does and how it responds to user interactions. Eg. if you click the Quick Edit button in the lower right of your post then your post gets replaced by a text area containing the post content. JavaScript is a language to to describe what you want the page to do, and often how to do it as well. It allows you to change the page after it has loaded. Without it we'd be pretty much stuck with websites from 2002 with a bit more bling.

razerg

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013
Oh okay thanks. Just one more question: do you have another source of free education (like codecademy) but with more advanced tutorials for HTML&CSS, because I went through the beginner's course.

Status
Not open for further replies.