Strange battery/power adapter quirk. Do I have a defective notebook?

moctod888

Estimable
Aug 11, 2015
Just got a new Dell 2-n-1 7000 series notebook. It's been fine, but today I let the battery completely drain. It was warning me that I had 7% left. I kept working and forgot to plug in the power and it eventually shut-off. Now in all my experience with previous laptops and macbooks, I can simply plug in the power brick and power it back on. This Dell 2-n-1 wouldn't turn on with the power brick. Lights at the charging port indicates everything is fine, but it just won't turn on. So I said whatever, maybe it just needs a few minutes to gather itself. LOL! After 20-30 minutes, it still wouldn't turn on. I continued to push the power button and eventually and turned back on. And when it did turn back on, the battery indicator shows 37% left, which means it has been charging for all this time.

So did I get a lemon? Or is there something new with these newer notebooks where if they're completely drained, you need to charge them for quite sometime before you can turn it on again? I just figure why does it matter at all if I'm using the power brick? Very confused. Everything is fine now, I'm writing this thread using the very same notebook. I'll never let this thing drain to 0 again, that's for sure. But if there happens to be someone who knows exactly what happened in my scenario, please explain. Please let me know if I should return this notebook. Thank you for your time.

BTW*** This 2-n-1 has a 3 cell battery, if that sheds any light.

Solution
I've never heard of the need for charging a laptop battery before being able to use it. I've heard of some underpowered A/C adapters powering the laptop but not charging the battery while you use the laptop, but never not starting the laptop.

My best guess from my experience is that you may have a faulty power switch. Or it was just in a state that it couldn't recover from right away. If this ever happens again, and it doesn't switch on with the first try, then try these approaches:

1. Make sure you're pressing the power switch squarely and deliberately.

2. Press the power switch and hold it for 5 seconds to force a system reset.

device_node

Commendable
Feb 23, 2016
I've never heard of the need for charging a laptop battery before being able to use it. I've heard of some underpowered A/C adapters powering the laptop but not charging the battery while you use the laptop, but never not starting the laptop.

My best guess from my experience is that you may have a faulty power switch. Or it was just in a state that it couldn't recover from right away. If this ever happens again, and it doesn't switch on with the first try, then try these approaches:

1. Make sure you're pressing the power switch squarely and deliberately.

2. Press the power switch and hold it for 5 seconds to force a system reset.

Solution