Strange Laptop Issues

Exfinite

Prominent
May 15, 2017
I've been holding onto my old laptop for a very long time. It is a Sony Vaio VGN-NS110E (around 2008).

Okay. When ever I stream videos (via Netflix, Youtube, Vimeo etc.), occasionally, the screen completely freezes and the audio slows to about 10% normal. The freeze usually lasts about 30 seconds then everything catches up again.

Does anyone know what is going on?

Thanks

Solution

Slow laptop and/or slow internet connection. Max out the RAM in the system, maybe swap the hard drive for a solid state, install Windows and the drivers clean, see how it runs. Or replace the thing for a $150 used laptop that is newer and can run HD video.

Devildjinn

Estimable
Jun 4, 2015
Press ctrl-alt-del
Select task manager.
Select performance tab.
Leave that window open while watching a video.
Keep a look at your cpu usage, it shouldnt get to 100%
If it is getting to a really high %, switch over to services tab in the same task manager windows.
Scroll down until you find the service that is using most of your resources, we are mainly interested in cpu.
If you find the culprit hogging your resources, post the name of it here.

Slow laptop and/or slow internet connection. Max out the RAM in the system, maybe swap the hard drive for a solid state, install Windows and the drivers clean, see how it runs. Or replace the thing for a $150 used laptop that is newer and can run HD video.

Solution

robert600

Distinguished
it shouldn't require a high spec laptop for netflix. My best guess is your internet connection. what speed does your internet provider give you. if it seems ok ... how are you connecting from your laptop to your router ... probably wifi, Yes? ... some say a wired connection is faster than wifi but I've never tried that.

Pentium M CPU in a laptop that likely has not had a clean Windows setup done, or has at least 4 GB of RAM will have issues playing HD video. I tried it, there is lag.