Subwoofer wont work on movies

Chaseonbase82

Commendable
Aug 15, 2016
I currently own a STRDH590 SONY Receiver. The only input I have is a digital optical cable from the back of the tv. All of my content is streamed. Ive adjusted the db in settings all the way from +10 to -10 there is no crossover and still nothing. The only way Ive got it to work is if I connect my phone from blu tooth and play youtube or pandora and select pure direct. The subwoofer kicks in and sounds great. I can place my hand on the woofer during the other times mentioned and it is recieving a signal I can barely feel it. Im just not getting that thump when a car explodes or a big crash etc. When I play music from blutooth other than pure direct. Its still the same. I assumed pure direct when playing movies would fix the issue. I ve calibrated it several times and still the same issue for some reason when I do calibrate. it turns the sub down to - 10 DB even after turning it back up. I still get nothing. Which is something I seriously dont understand. 9 out of 10 times I can usually figure this stuff out but Im completely stumped. Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
Am not totally sure but some TVs, when you stream surround content, it may not pass that info through the optical, and it comes out as stereo. There maybe a TV setting that configures this, for PCM/Surround, Down Sampling Yes/No, play with the settings. Consult TV's manual.

So you are using the TV's Apps for streaming? What kind of streaming TV is this (make/model?) wo HDMI?
Am not totally sure but some TVs, when you stream surround content, it may not pass that info through the optical, and it comes out as stereo. There maybe a TV setting that configures this, for PCM/Surround, Down Sampling Yes/No, play with the settings. Consult TV's manual.

So you are using the TV's Apps for streaming? What kind of streaming TV is this (make/model?) wo HDMI?

Solution

Chaseonbase82

Commendable
Aug 15, 2016
Its a samsung un55 curve and yes im using netflix and directv now for all of my media and also plex from the smart hub without hdmi input only optical for audio. I know it did work before when I was at my apartment. Just moved to a house and I can finally crank it. My wife just turned on the radio and now its working again.. Ughh.. This is extremely annoying.

Chaseonbase82

Commendable
Aug 15, 2016
Ty jay, My wife started smacking buttons today when she was listening to the radio. I fired up a movie on plex and the woofer started thumping. I got no idea what she did, but it started working. I keep your advice in mind incase she gets slap. Happy again. Lol