Successor to Motorola's Failed Xoom Tablet Leaked

Status
Not open for further replies.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]beardguy[/nom]Money talks ... make it substanitally cheaper than the iPad and you MIGHT actually sell some units.[/citation]

Just look at all the HP Touchpads that sold at $100 and $150. A mediocre product at the right price will sell like hotcakes. Personally $500 for a limited use giant phone without phone capability is too much.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
^Yup exactly. I just don't get how these companies can keep failing to see the obvious. like this first Xoom for example, $800 are you out of your mind!!! It's not complicated, yet there is still no true iPad competitor.

G

I have a Xoom, I paid full launch price too. I don't for one second regret it either.

When u look at all the tablets....I have to have one that's plain Android....no stupid touchwiz or w/e skin on top of it and a UNLOCKABLE bootloader......you have that in the Xoom.

It's been upgraded to 4G LTE already, unlocked, Tiamat kernel and overclocked to 1.7Ghz. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

megamanx00

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
It's initially high price tag and the fact that they still don't have sd write support were the main flaws of the Xoom. I think it's a good tablet, but for the money I think the Samsung Galaxy looks a little better, though I don't need the 3G (I can tether it to my phone) so I'm happy with my ASUS transformer.

D

Deleted member 270419

Why must one always attempt to kill the other? Can't the two just coexist like apples and oranges?

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Put Windows 8 on it and i'm sold[/citation]

I don't understand all the people that believe that Windows 8 is going to revolutionize tablets. First, it's not going to be free. Paying a full Windows OS license is going to push up these tablets which already cost more than some notebooks even more. Secondly the majority of people are buying tablets for what I consider time-wasting activities. People who get these things do not use it as their full productivity machine. I have a desktop a laptop and an Android tablet. Each has it's place, if I wanted to use a tablet to be productive, trust me I am going to have to plug in a USB keyboard and mouse, which is not practical and then begs the question as to why I don't use the laptop. Next there is speed and performance. I haven't seen Win 8 run on a tablet yet, but I expect there is a performance tradeoff on same-level hardware. You don't use a sledgehammer to crack eggs. Finally in the off chance I really, really need to access a Windows application when I only have a tablet, I use a remote desktop application, which gives me access to the programs and the files I need.
This is why in my view, I am looking forward to Ice Cream Sandwich much more than Windows 8 for tablets.

G

Failed? By what metric?

Also the idiots that keep siting the $800 price tag, fail to point out 2 things, one that the $800 model is buying the 3G model off contract and two that it's only $60 more than the equivalent maxiPad model, that you idiots have no problem paying full price for.

G

Good article, but why the reference to "Failed Tablet". If failed means that it did not outsell ipad whatever version, then possibly all versions of all other non-apple tables might be labled accordingly. The Motorolla Xoom is a very credible product and hard "Failed" at all. I hope you can be a little more objective in your headline spin. If you really represent all gadgets and not just Apple whatever, then there is no need for this sort of bias.

tului

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
I really wouldn't call it a failed tablet either. However them not having microSD write support still did amaze me. Can anyone verify that as of 22 Sept?

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]beardguy[/nom]Money talks ... make it substanitally cheaper than the iPad and you MIGHT actually sell some units.[/citation]
Except it has nothing to do with iPad price.
If you want to buy a tablet and 500 mark is acceptable for you, and you have a slightest clue about Apple's draconian restrictions, you go buy alternative product.

According to numerous surveys most users however believe tablet price will go down to 200-300 mark soon.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]abcdefghijklmnop12392[/nom]Failed? By what metric?Also the idiots that keep siting the $800 price tag, fail to point out 2 things, one that the $800 model is buying the 3G model off contract and two that it's only $60 more than the equivalent maxiPad model, that you idiots have no problem paying full price for.[/citation]
[citation][nom]Zandreth[/nom]Good article, but why the reference to "Failed Tablet". If failed means that it did not outsell ipad whatever version, then possibly all versions of all other non-apple tables might be labled accordingly. The Motorolla Xoom is a very credible product and hard "Failed" at all. I hope you can be a little more objective in your headline spin. If you really represent all gadgets and not just Apple whatever, then there is no need for this sort of bias.[/citation]
[citation][nom]tului[/nom]I really wouldn't call it a failed tablet either. However them not having microSD write support still did amaze me. Can anyone verify that as of 22 Sept?[/citation]
[citation][nom]kartu[/nom]Except it has nothing to do with iPad price.If you want to buy a tablet and 500 mark is acceptable for you, and you have a slightest clue about Apple's draconian restrictions, you go buy alternative product.According to numerous surveys most users however believe tablet price will go down to 200-300 mark soon.[/citation]

"By the end of Q2, iPad 2 had sold more than 9 million copies to Xoom's 450,000."

If you are comparing these 2, which product would you describe as a success and which would you describe as a failure?

idyll

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
I bought the Xoom early on as well, and I too don't regret it at all. I've used it a ton and enjoy it very much. Great screen and easy on my eyes. The screen on my Xoom is noticeably nicer than my son's iPad 2. I also like the way it charges so quickly and the battery lasts a long time for me and so I don't feel I need to charge it often. Nice though that it charges so quickly when I do.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]blackened144[/nom]"By the end of Q2, iPad 2 had sold more than 9 million copies to Xoom's 450,000." If you are comparing these 2, which product would you describe as a success and which would you describe as a failure?[/citation]
I didn't regard Xoom as success, however I don't think getting about 5% of the market share from 0 is a bad result for rather mediocre device either.
It would be "fail" for samsung 10 inch tab, since it has superior hardware. (slim, better screen and what not)

Most potential customers don't buy any tablets yet (according to surveys!) since they perceive 500$ price as too high. This "it's too expensive" has nothing to do with Apple or iWhatever. It's just "that's too much for this kind of toy".

Status
Not open for further replies.