Suddenly no sound output from my receiver (Yamaha RX-V671)

nmk120

Commendable
Apr 3, 2016
Hello. I have a Yamaha RX-V671 receiver that just stopped putting out sound completely. This happens on all inputs, including HDMI, Sonos connected via optical audio input, and even the tuner. Video from HDMI inputs works just fine.

It has been working just fine for a few years, and the only new thing I've done is split the subwoofer out to connect a new subwoofer amp (Dayton SA70 70W plate amplifier), which is powering two bass shakers. In fact, audio continued to work for a short time even after the new amp was connected.

I have tried a hard reset, which hasn't helped at all. I also tried the YPAO seup to see if that put out any sound at all, and it didn't.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

Solution
it could be the amplifiers protect mode tripping which turns off the amp. there should be a way to reset it but i couldnt begin to tell you the codes. either that or it might be damage to the amplifier.

i have the same problem myself. on my pioneer the protect mode triggers once in awhile (mostly when i use the auto-shutdown sleep feature) and i need to enter the reset codes to clear it. its certainly annoying. in my cases its a hold power button + front button combination and i hear a click which is how i know it worked. i never did find the codes for my unit and had to rely on another models manual and guess the codes via trial and error.

hard reset and config do not work on mine, only clearing the trip works.

of course you could...
it could be the amplifiers protect mode tripping which turns off the amp. there should be a way to reset it but i couldnt begin to tell you the codes. either that or it might be damage to the amplifier.

i have the same problem myself. on my pioneer the protect mode triggers once in awhile (mostly when i use the auto-shutdown sleep feature) and i need to enter the reset codes to clear it. its certainly annoying. in my cases its a hold power button + front button combination and i hear a click which is how i know it worked. i never did find the codes for my unit and had to rely on another models manual and guess the codes via trial and error.

hard reset and config do not work on mine, only clearing the trip works.

of course you could have another issue or actual amp damage - i'm just hoping its a tripped sensor. if it keeps tripping its worth taking in to service although in my case i already had it in and know nothing is wrong with it besides some fault with the sleep mode.

Solution