Super-thin Speakers in LG's Curved OLED TV Explained

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmitche3

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
Like so many crappy articles on audio... you mention that it can produce a frequency range of 200 Hz to 20kHz. Does anyone ever remember seeing a frequency graph? 99% of the cheap crap out there can claim that they cover this range. The problem is at what point do frequency characters change? How well does it handle a low bass while at the same time producing a true quality 14kHz? It has been years since I've seen anyone do truly scientific test and compare audio speakers and equipment, and Tom's is just as ignorant as all the others.

ubercake

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Most people in the market for curved OLED tellies don't care about the speakers. They have a separate receiver for audio.

For high-end customers, unless these companies can somehow create a surround system emitted by the television without the necessity of having speakers in the appropriate positions, they should focus on the visual and audio as separate components.

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
I think these are pretty cool actually. And yes, I am aware that you get a dedicated system for good sound, but I still think this is cool tech.

3ogdy

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009
Like so many crappy articles on audio... you mention that it can produce a frequency range of 200 Hz to 20kHz. Does anyone ever remember seeing a frequency graph? 99% of the cheap crap out there can claim that they cover this range. The problem is at what point do frequency characters change? How well does it handle a low bass while at the same time producing a true quality 14kHz? It has been years since I've seen anyone do truly scientific test and compare audio speakers and equipment, and Tom's is just as ignorant as all the others.

The thing is...what's the point of asking about bass when the 30Hz are not even included in the frequency range?
Weren't subwoofers supposed to touch the 30Hz+ area in order for a sound to be perceived as "deep bass"?

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
While the tech is pretty cool and it's great that they are making TVs thinner, considering that the majority of people buying a mid-upper range TV will have a separate speaker system, this is kind of pointless.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
These will not have any bass. Low frequency dynamic audio requires the forceful movement of large amounts of air in the low frequency range. The design of these thin speakers limits the range of motion and power capabilities. So while they will be great at delicate minute sounds at wider dispersion, don't expect any bass out of these, at all.

virgult

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013
I appreciate that most of the comments here are of people disgusted by the specs and performance of the speakers (this is the only sane reaction, period), but on the other hand I don't see any differences in performance between these piezo speakers and the cheapo drivers used so far. It's a reasonable innovation, for the sake of making the TV thinner, but since the goal here was in no way related to audio, and the performance to compare it with was terrible to start with, I don't see why we should discuss about its audio performance! :)

virgult

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013
I appreciate that most of the comments here are of people disgusted by the specs and performance of the speakers (this is the only sane reaction, period), but on the other hand I don't see any differences in performance between these piezo speakers and the cheapo drivers used so far. It's a reasonable innovation, for the sake of making the TV thinner, but since the goal here was in no way related to audio, and the performance to compare it with was terrible to start with, I don't see why we should discuss about its audio performance! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.