Surface Pro 3/4 or Macbook Pro for College?

mnmCarlos

Estimable
Jan 31, 2015
Hello, I will be going to college this fall and Im doing research on what to get. Ive read many threads but cant really see a clear choice. I will be studying computer science then transferring to as a Software Engineer major. My question is, what for me in college will be the best use for me? I really like all the features of the Surface Pro 3 and know the Surface 4 is almost out. I also really like the reliability and comfort of the Mac? Im just thinking what i will be using more, and i keep thinking it will be the Surface especially with taking notes with One note. Any tips?

Solution
I would get a Surface Pro since you can us a program like OneNote which can be used to record class lectures and the notes you take during the lecture and can be played back like a video. Since the Surface Pro comes with a digital pen you can use it to draw diagrams, charts and graphs as part of your notes.

Here's a demonstration with a Surface 3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEb573aGQpA

koffeeshop77

Estimable
Jun 9, 2015
you will have more use and compatibility with the surface, with the mac you my end up having trouble submitting your papers on time without the right "apps", printing at school, i could go on but i think you get the giust.

I would get a Surface Pro since you can us a program like OneNote which can be used to record class lectures and the notes you take during the lecture and can be played back like a video. Since the Surface Pro comes with a digital pen you can use it to draw diagrams, charts and graphs as part of your notes.

Here's a demonstration with a Surface 3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEb573aGQpA

Solution

pdubs1995

Estimable
Nov 19, 2014
I have a surface pro 3 and a macbook air. Neither are particularly powerful, but in my experience the air wins.
As someone who has both, I really hate microsoft's ads about the surface replacing the laptop as I don't think it's even capable of replacing the air. So, I would imagine the difference is even greater between surface and macbook pro.

That being said, the digital pen/note taking feature can be quite convenient once you get used to using it.

If you are willing to just use pen and paper (easier to use imo but less convenient), I would go macbook pro. But, if the digital pen is important to you and you'd prefer portability to power, surface may be better.

Also, windows runs fine on mac with bootcamp, so "apps" are a non-issue.