Question Surface Pro 4 not warning me when the battery is low

mrmike16

Honorable
Hi everyone,
So as the title indicates, I find myself looking at a blank screen often because the laplet gave me no warning of the battery getting low. This never happens on my Surface 3, only on the Surface Pro 4. Anything I should try before reinstalling Windows? The battery life capacity is at 70-something percent. I checked that before buying it. The previous user left it overcharging way too much.

I had the Kiosk Mode enabled for a while, and just disabled it because it ju

I found recently that there is actually a Windows ISO for Surface devices, which people say works better than installing regular Windows on them. I may try it soon.

I had a the same issue with my laptop when the battery was getting tired. Go into the advanced power setting and change the battery alarms to a higher level (I used 20%).

When you talk about a .iso for reinstalling windows, is this supplied by microsoft? If not, avoid it like the plaque. That is one to the ways the bad guys install backdoors to your PC (and virus checkers likely won't find it.)

The battery probably isn't being read correctly given its condition. In my case, it refused to do a battery calibration as it said the battery was defective. I lived with it for a long time with just a shorter battery life but at least it wasn;'t shutting down with no warning. You can try to do a battery calibration--assuming surface pro has that. The true fix is probably a new battery.

Glad to see the iso is from MS. People have loaded installs from various random web sites with bad results!!!

mrmike16

Honorable
The battery probably isn't being read correctly given its condition. In my case, it refused to do a battery calibration as it said the battery was defective. I lived with it for a long time with just a shorter battery life but at least it wasn;'t shutting down with no warning. You can try to do a battery calibration--assuming surface pro has that. The true fix is probably a new battery.

Glad to see the iso is from MS. People have loaded installs from various random web sites with bad results!!!
Hmm. I haven't seen that in the BIOS but I will check again. The battery isn't so defective from what I see- definitely lasts less than my Surface 3, but it is more powerful and has a fan. I don't think it is defective if it has 70% or more of it's full capacity, but maybe. Unfortunately replacing the battery on laplets is no easy task. Neither is finding one. If it was, I would have replaced the screen on the Surface 3 by now to make it a touchscreen tablet again.

As for the ISO- definitely. Unfortunately, people download many things from random websites and they become easy targets. I think I should try the Surface ISO before I have too many things stored on the device to be formatting it again.