surround not working

KNARF XD

Honorable
Nov 28, 2013
hello,

i got an audio converter (optical to rca) and a toslink and an coaxal(rca), but when i hooked it up (pc > optical cable > converter > rca cable > home cinema set) it only gives stereo sound, how can i get it to 5.1?

motherboard: asus m5a97 evo r2.0 (supports all kinds of dts and dolby)
er_photo_184966.jpg

audio set: philips hts3357 (also supports dts and dolby)
9475017900_1419515687.jpg

any help is welcome:)
thanks

Solution
What converter did you get? If it is toslink to RCA (white and red) then yes you are now down-converted to 2.0. That is all analog RCA supports.
If you got a toslink to digital coaxial converter then that should output 5.1.

Now the toslink and digital coax is only going to output 5.1 when it is a dts or dolby digital source. If you are just playing sound from youtube or say a device plugged in to the 3.5 jack, then you are only going to get stereo (2.0) to all the speakers.

Now when you say you only get 2.0 do you mean you get stereo on all 5 speakers, or only 2 speakers get sound period?
What converter did you get? If it is toslink to RCA (white and red) then yes you are now down-converted to 2.0. That is all analog RCA supports.
If you got a toslink to digital coaxial converter then that should output 5.1.

Now the toslink and digital coax is only going to output 5.1 when it is a dts or dolby digital source. If you are just playing sound from youtube or say a device plugged in to the 3.5 jack, then you are only going to get stereo (2.0) to all the speakers.

Now when you say you only get 2.0 do you mean you get stereo on all 5 speakers, or only 2 speakers get sound period?

Solution

KNARF XD

Honorable
Nov 28, 2013

nevermind man, i already got it working, but thanks for the reply :)
(best pick because you are the only one to responde haha)