Solved! Surround Sound over HDMI problem (Pyle PT588AB Receiver)

Apr 20, 2018
I have a Pyle PT588AB receiver, and I've plugged in a DirecTV receiver, an Amazon Firestick, an LG BluRay player, and an Xbox 360, all of which support Dolby Digital 5.1 over HDMI. However, the receiver defaults to 2 channel stereo for all sources.

The only device that lets me "force" Dolby Digital over HDMI is the Firestick, and when I do that, and select a 5.1 output app (Netflix or Amazon Video), I get a horrid, choppy distortion that STILL doesn't come through all 6 speakers.

What am I doing wrong?

Solution
In my language, we have a proverb: A frog saw that a horse gets new horseshoes, and lifted her legs, too.

Proper implementation of anything (cars, audio, you name it) needs not just components and shiny case, but lot of research. That's one reason brand name receivers cost twice as much.

You're doing nothing wrong. Just the box you have has its limitations.
Apr 20, 2018
I appreciate the levity but I came here looking for advice outside my scope of knowledge. I know the receiver's inexpensive. I'm trying to determine if my problem is user error or a shortcoming of the receiver.

In my language, we have a proverb: A frog saw that a horse gets new horseshoes, and lifted her legs, too.

Proper implementation of anything (cars, audio, you name it) needs not just components and shiny case, but lot of research. That's one reason brand name receivers cost twice as much.

You're doing nothing wrong. Just the box you have has its limitations.

Solution