Surround Sound Setup Help

supersaiyanfour

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2009
Hey guys, it's been a long time since I've been here! I am currently having a difficult time setting up the surround sound in my house. Here is what we have:

PS3 with HDMI Cable
Cable Digital Box with HDMI Cable
Home Theatre in a box (no AV Receiver) with a regular White/Red cable for audio in/out
Wii with regular R/W/Y cable

The TV we just bought was:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/samsung-samsung-51-1080p-600hz-3d-plasma-hdtv-pn51d550-pn51d550c1fxzc/10166071.aspx

I was just wondering the order in which things need to be plugged in and into what? We had a different TV plugged in (old boulder TV) which worked fine with this current set up.

Thanks in advance!

thats the main problem with htib units.... a total lack of input/outputs.

you could probably get everything hooked up but surround sound might be a problem.

if it were me i would just get a sub $100 receiver. so much easier to work with. but then again, your choice entirely.

quite simply....i dont buy home theater in a box sets.

i have a pioneer vsx-30 receiver, the 5 speaker (5.0) klipsch quintet IV and a 450w klipsch subwoofer. sure the speakers came as a "set" but theres a huge difference in quality between this and htib sets you can buy. also the receiver you buy seperately has about 10x the ports.

i wouldnt suggest you going out and getting such an expensive receiver though, not for a htib set. perhaps a cheap $100 onkyo if you decided to go that route. as far as what to pick, just one with the inputs/outputs you need. double check that a receiver is the option for you...if your dvd player (htib unit normally) doesnt output hdmi (or equiv.) its not going to play nice. in such cases a new player might be needed if you want to use a dedicated receiver.