Switching from Astro A50's to AKG K7XX Massdrop Edition?

Spinny99

Honorable
May 28, 2013
Hi everyone. Currently an Astro A50 Owner, but over time I have decided that I want something better for listening to music + gaming. Don't get me wrong, the A50 is a great headset, but I still want something better. The AKG K7XX's are up on Massdrop for 48 more hours, and I was wondering if they would be worth the upgrade (Will it be noticeable from my Astro's). Bass is important to me. I also understand I'd need a DAC and a Modmic. Anyone have personal experience with both of these headsets?

Thanks!

Solution
they will sound quite different (and better) than your a50. one thing about akg cans is they are power hungry and picky about source content. if you do not have a powerful enough amplifier or run poor quality source content they will sound like crud. with the right amp and quality source they will sound good.

not too familiar with the k7xx model.. generally i mention the k701/k702/q701, beyer cans, senn cans, at cans and a few others on here. it seems like the 7xx is a bit more bassy than is usual for akg cans but this is a "punchy" bass not a "boomy" and deep high-quantity of bass headphone. if you're looking to vibrate your brain with bass they arent the can for that but if you're looking for something articulate they do that.
they will sound quite different (and better) than your a50. one thing about akg cans is they are power hungry and picky about source content. if you do not have a powerful enough amplifier or run poor quality source content they will sound like crud. with the right amp and quality source they will sound good.

not too familiar with the k7xx model.. generally i mention the k701/k702/q701, beyer cans, senn cans, at cans and a few others on here. it seems like the 7xx is a bit more bassy than is usual for akg cans but this is a "punchy" bass not a "boomy" and deep high-quantity of bass headphone. if you're looking to vibrate your brain with bass they arent the can for that but if you're looking for something articulate they do that.

Solution