T60p LCD problem - white horizontal stripes

epiphanyplx

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009
I recently sold a Lenovo T60p laptop to someone on ebay (local pickup)

A week or so after he got it he said that horizontal white stripes had appeared near the bottom of the screen. He brought it to me and indeed, when the screen was bent at a certain angle or when he moved it back and forth the lines would appear.

I removed the LCD frame, disconnected and reconnected the wires to make sure everything was properly connected. Now when I turn it on I can only get the lines when I apply direct pressure to the bottom part of the frame, where the inverter board is located, and they go away when I remove the pressure.

Could this have to do with a wire being pinched or a bad connection or will the lines come back; do I need to replace the LCD?

Thank you for your advice,

- Andrew

epiphanyplx

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009
The right hand connection is good, have disconnected and reconnected. What is the grounding you talk of? When I turned it on with the frame off at one point the inverted melted some plastic. I quickly unplugged but maybe it's not grounded?

The fixing connections at both ends of the inverter are partially there to earth or ground the electrical connection provided by the little socket that plugs in the back at the right hand end. I believe if one or other of those earth point connections aren't made properly, the inverter will not work. I definitely don't like the sound of your melting plastic.

epiphanyplx

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009
Yes, the connection is good, I disconnected and reconnected this as well.
By ground are you referring to the little metal circle which I thought was a screw hole? Maybe it shifted the one time when I melted the plastic. Do you think I need to order a new LCD or what?

Why is it when I apply pressure the lines appear? I don't want to return this to the guy and have the problems start up again...

Thanks for the help!

It was that pressure and where you applied it that made me think the inverter was somehow faulty or not fixed in properly. The little metal circles at both ends are screwholes but because they aren't painted over, I believe them to be earthing points. Therefore they need steel screws and to be tightly fitted. If the screws you're using can't be picked up with a magnet, they won't earth - one reason for making sure the screws you take out are put back in the same place. Some scews are made from aluminium for a reson.

I fear all the above is academic if the inverter is now toasted but they aren't as expensive as a screen so replace that first.
[/#000ff]

epiphanyplx

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009
I was under the impression that if the inverter was toast the screen wouldn't turn on, is that incorrect?

ivoverdonck

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012

Hi,

I have the exact same problem with my laptop.
Was the laptop fixed after the replacement?

Ivo

epiphanyplx

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009

Yeah, inverter board replacement did nothing to fix it, replacing screen fixed right away.
Before you buy a new screen, try plugging the laptop into an external monitor. If the lines still appear the problem could be with the graphics card. Good luck!